Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2001 7:57:23 PM EDT
Does anybody know what these were initially going for?  From the pics I've seen they look very very clean, can't see the welds.  Just toying with the idea of hunting one down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you even think about it, check this out see links for complete story:
www.fulton-armory.com/Weld.htm
1. Fulton Armory FAQ: How can I tell if an M1 or M14 receiver is a "reweld"? ••••
A discussion of rewelded M1 and M14 receivers and their unsuitability for use
 ... I tell if an M1 or M14 receiver is a re-weld? Updated Again! And yet one more time! by Kirk Hays There are a lot of re-welded receivers out there, but ...
 ... To understand re-welds, you must know that most receivers destroyed by the government have been cut or torched in the rail section. Clever folks often ...
 ... rail section. Clever folks often think they can get a useable receiver by re-welding two receiver halves (from the same or different original ...

www.fulton-armory.com/8620.htm
2. Fulton Armory FAQ: What is 8620 Steel? •••
A description of 8620 steel as used in M1 and M14 receivers.
 ... 8620 steel welds very well, in the annealed form, with appropriate rod, welding technique, etc. The problem with welded M1 and M14 receivers is that ...
 ... problem with welded M1 and M14 receivers is that heat-treated 8620 does not weld well due to the case hardening; typically 60 Rockwell "C" on the case
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Stripped recvr's:
H & R  $ 385
TRW    $ 415
WRA    $ 500 +
SA     $ 800 +

Barrelled added about $ 125, A complete H & R Rack Grade was around $ 1250 and prices went up from there....If you find one for sale expect to pay alot more !!! I think I heard theres a barrelled MKS TRW on Gunbroker current bid was $ 650........
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a report that the BATF was rounding up ALL MKS rewelded m14 receivers.  It seems that they consider them to be easily converted into machine guns again du to the reattachment of the selector stud, even in its 1/8th inch forward location.

They are now supposedly working on new, forged receivers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Seems they are appreciating regardless of the BATF confiscation rumours.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorta like land.
They ain't making them any more.
There are three for sale on various sites right now and LRB still has two new ones for $1595.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The ATF took MKS's from people who purcased them through someone who was found to be dealing without an FFL liscense which is a no no....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a H&R MKS and I wish I had bought one of each manufacturer.On CSP gun shopper there is a Winchester for 2000.00. I believe LRB Sales(Shotgun News) has some H&R's 1595.00.

I read that the cut receivers came from Israel. They were demilled in the late seventies by cutting them in half with a saw.The operator of said saw was smart enough to wire the halves together and pitch them into a 55 gallon drum with some used motor oil.Today everything is torch cut in three pieces or sent to Cap'n Crunch.

Mike Kelly no longer welds receivers and is developing a forged receiver of his own which I understand is giving him fits.

As for the welded issue, Clint Fowler may have a point about early Garrand weld ups but the guys who did those would have to stand on their mothers shoulders to be able to kiss Mike Kelly's ass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to the MKS web page, this guy did a truly top of the line job with his recievers.  You cannot tell where the weld is and he hardened it back to specs, all of them were made from the original two halves of the same reciever, not junk or parts.
That crap comes from jealous people.  If you see an MKS reweld you will understand what I mean.
As a rewelded reciever they are considered "post ban" as I understand it and are not supposed to have a bayonet lug.  Who cares anyway.  Mine is a beautiful H&R, with all original H&R parts and even an H&R magazine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top