Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 3:33:56 PM EDT
I have a DD MK18 upper and the only modification I made was putting a Surefire muzzle break to use with the SOCOM RC 5.56 suppressor. When I use the suppressor, the bolt isn't going back far enough to reset the trigger...however, it somehow scrapes the next round into the chamber. I drop the magazine, pull on the charging handle so it resets the trigger, and that round comes out of the chamber. When looking at it, I can see it has dents and scrapes all over it as it somehow made it into the chamber. When I shoot without the suppressor, there are no cycling issues. And then after about 50 rounds or so, I can put the suppressor back on and the rifle works like it should. I am using a standard carbine buffer and spring. Not sure if this is a gas issue? Or do I need a lighter buffer/spring?

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:35:33 PM EDT
It's too much gas, it's unlocking too early. Get a h2 buffer and it should fix your issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:56:36 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NavyIS2:
It's too much gas, it's unlocking too early. Get a h2 buffer and it should fix your issue.
View Quote

This... those DD MK18s get a lot of gas back through the system
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
Definitely put in a heavier buffer. I run mine with an A5 system and it runs flawless. If I remember correctly, the factory MK18s come with an H2 buffer in them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2015 10:33:06 PM EDT by goloud]
#adjustablegasblock
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:06:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By goloud:
#adjustablegasblock
View Quote

Do they make an adjustable that fits under the mk18 rail?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:15:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LS1POWERED:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LS1POWERED:
Originally Posted By goloud:
#adjustablegasblock

I have the three position Govnah (MicroMOA.com) in my MK18 and love it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:41:54 AM EDT
View Quote

+1, fixed mine
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:43:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dfergusonp12:

+1, fixed mine
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dfergusonp12:

+1, fixed mine

You may even try an H3... I have a BCM 11.5 (which IME is less overgassed than the DD MK18) and it runs an H3 w/ and without a suppressor. I don't shoot any Tula, Wolf, PMC Bronze or anything like that so not sure if it will lock back with those notoriously underpowered brands but I don't think it hurts to have one of each type of buffer laying around anyways.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:15:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:55:49 AM EDT
While a heavier buffer will probably take care of your problem I would also suggest the Govnah.......you won't be disappointed. A bullet point to the slide and you're ready for that cheap/weak ammo. Another push of the slide and you're ready for suppressed or good 5.56 ammo, all the while having the smoothest shooting carbine you could ask for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:28:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stoner25mkiv:
While a heavier buffer will probably take care of your problem I would also suggest the Govnah.......you won't be disappointed. A bullet point to the slide and you're ready for that cheap/weak ammo. Another push of the slide and you're ready for suppressed or good 5.56 ammo, all the while having the smoothest shooting carbine you could ask for.
View Quote

Yep, Buffers and springs are band aides and they dont address the problem or all of the symptoms of overgassing. I have SLR Sentry gas blocks and while they have many more settings than the "Govnah" , The Govnah has a much quicker setting change and it seems bomb proof.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 9:53:53 AM EDT by thornejc]
Originally Posted By Brutus2:

Yep, Buffers and springs are band aides and they dont address the problem or all of the symptoms of overgassing. I have SLR Sentry gas blocks and while they have many more settings than the "Govnah" , The Govnah has a much quicker setting change and it seems bomb proof.
View All Quotes

A heavier buffer isn't any more of a bandaid than an adjustable block. They both accomplish the same thing. The only "symptom" that the buffer doesn't address is the extra gas going back thru the gas tube causing your rifle to have a little more carbon fouling but this is really a non issue. If you are going to shoot suppressed or go between shit ammo and surplus then the adjustable block is def nice to have but it isn't a better solution simply for the goal of slowing down an overgassed rifle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 1:20:05 PM EDT by amphibian]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 3:46:09 PM EDT by thornejc]
Originally Posted By amphibian:

I'd beg to differ.
Maybe just a semantics thing...
Rather than use the term 'bandaid'....A heavier buffer or adjustable gas are both solutions to the problem.
The source of the problem is too much gas coming into the gas tube due to the suppressor adding backpressure.
I think we can both agree to that.
The heavy buffer only addresses slowing things down and you yourself state that it cannot reduce the excess fouling which controlling the gas can.
So by that logic the adjustable gas is better since it does both....and adjustable gas also means you can speed things back if desired or encountering adverse conditions.

I find that the amount of extra carbon you get by not running an adjustable gas block is NOT 'a little more' but a LOT more.
But if you don't shoot that much then it is no big deal.
If you go the extra heavy buffer route, then you need to stop and clean your gun or go to a lighter buffer as fouling increases but may not work either since you need the extra mass to push through the fouling.
VS
Running adjustable gas you get less fouling into the BCG to begin with and IF you need more gas you can always increase gas on the fly till you have time to clean or add lube.

I also think in order to try to MATCH the 'smoothness' in running adjustable gas vs going to a heavy buffer that you would have to go so heavy on the buffer it most likely won't cycle without the suppressor attached and i still dont think it will be as smooth. I run an H2 since that is required to reliably stop bolt bounce in full auto. If not running full auto, I recommend running an H buffer for 'tactical' configurations for the extra mass to get through fouling. For the competition guys, I like the JPSCS which is very smooth or other low mass buffers. My point is that going too heavy on the buffer and the gun starts getting bouncy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thornejc:

A heavier buffer isn't any more of a bandaid than an adjustable block. They both accomplish the same thing. The only "symptom" that the buffer doesn't address is the extra gas going back thru the gas tube causing your rifle to have a little more carbon fouling but this is really a non issue. If you are going to shoot suppressed or go between shit ammo and surplus then the adjustable block is def nice to have but it isn't a better solution simply for the goal of slowing down an overgassed rifle.

I'd beg to differ.
Maybe just a semantics thing...
Rather than use the term 'bandaid'....A heavier buffer or adjustable gas are both solutions to the problem.
The source of the problem is too much gas coming into the gas tube due to the suppressor adding backpressure.
I think we can both agree to that.
The heavy buffer only addresses slowing things down and you yourself state that it cannot reduce the excess fouling which controlling the gas can.
So by that logic the adjustable gas is better since it does both....and adjustable gas also means you can speed things back if desired or encountering adverse conditions.

I find that the amount of extra carbon you get by not running an adjustable gas block is NOT 'a little more' but a LOT more.
But if you don't shoot that much then it is no big deal.
If you go the extra heavy buffer route, then you need to stop and clean your gun or go to a lighter buffer as fouling increases but may not work either since you need the extra mass to push through the fouling.
VS
Running adjustable gas you get less fouling into the BCG to begin with and IF you need more gas you can always increase gas on the fly till you have time to clean or add lube.

I also think in order to try to MATCH the 'smoothness' in running adjustable gas vs going to a heavy buffer that you would have to go so heavy on the buffer it most likely won't cycle without the suppressor attached and i still dont think it will be as smooth. I run an H2 since that is required to reliably stop bolt bounce in full auto. If not running full auto, I recommend running an H buffer for 'tactical' configurations for the extra mass to get through fouling. For the competition guys, I like the JPSCS which is very smooth or other low mass buffers. My point is that going too heavy on the buffer and the gun starts getting bouncy.

I agree that both are solutions to the problem and that the adjustable block is the better option but you really need to figure out if its necessary for you. You kinda have to judge how much you are going to be shooting in a single session and if the extra smoothness is worth it. The main reason I wasn't 100% on the gas block is bc, IMO, the RIS II is a bitch to take on and off bc the tool sucks and the tool and/or the barrel nut seem to get mauled a little. I rarely shoot more than 500-600 in a single shooting session so I threw an H3 in and it ejects at 3:30 unsuppressed and 2:30 suppressed so it was just really easy for me to do that (BCM 11.5, not DD MK18). If I owned the DD, I would want an adjustable block on it just bc of the nature of that gas port.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:21:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 11:30:58 PM EDT by thornejc]
You don't need to remove the barrel nut to swap gas blocks. The RIS II is a pain w/ the 8 or so socket head bolts you have to remove but that is it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thornejc:
the RIS II is a bitch to take on and off bc the tool sucks and the tool and/or the barrel nut seem to get mauled a little.
You don't need to remove the barrel nut to swap gas blocks. The RIS II is a pain w/ the 8 or so socket head bolts you have to remove but that is it.

Damn I'm stupid ... didn't think that out very well. In the middle of studying for a physics exam and am in schizo mode. at least thats the excuse I'm using
Top Top