Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 2:47:14 PM EDT
I got about 100 pieces of this 5.56 brass with crimped primers and the headstamp is 5.56 MAL, is this brass any good or is it about like FC and not worth the trouble?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Just started prepping a 2-83 batch. Have not loaded them yet. I can tell you they prime nice without de-crimping.

TR
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I am just starting to load for the .223, but all of the cases that I have had problems resizing have had that headstamp. I am not sure what the problem is, but I crush the neck of the case straight down. It is almost like the expander is too big, but all the other brass that I have resized has been fine. Maybe it is a bad batch, a result of the gun it was fired in, or ??????

But hopefully, you will have better luck!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have some MAL stamped 5.56, but I haven't loaded any of it yet.  I can tell you that the MAL headstamp 9x19 is worthless, the flash hole is too small for effective decapping, and a MALfunction is exactly what happens to the press every time one of them makes it into the process.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I reloaded about 350 rds of MAL last month with 25.5 grs of H-335, Rem 7 1/2 primers and 55 gr Hornaday FMJ-BT.  It shot great.  I expect to get several more reloads out of the batch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey flash....no pressure signs with that load?

TR
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey flash....no pressure signs with that load?

TR

That's a pretty much standard load, that you should work up to.

In my AR it's a max load. Pressure signs at 26.0 grs.

Lots of folks load 25.0 grs with that load.

Be safe, and do your own work up as YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some, and I intend to reload them with a 55 gr FMJBT for general blasting / shooting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am just starting to load for the .223, but all of the cases that I have had problems resizing have had that headstamp. I am not sure what the problem is, but I crush the neck of the case straight down. It is almost like the expander is too big, but all the other brass that I have resized has been fine. Maybe it is a bad batch, a result of the gun it was fired in, or ??????

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9499/img1736ep.jpg

If you would like help with this, start a thread with that pic. Example, need help with 223 sizing.

Be sure to give details, which press, dies, lube, cases, how you adjusted sizing die, and anything else that is relevant.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9499/img1736ep.jpg

If you would like help with this, start a thread with that pic. Example, need help with 223 sizing.

Be sure to give details, which press, dies, lube, cases, how you adjusted sizing die, and anything else that is relevant.

Since it's my post I don't mind if you hi-jack it to tell him his sizing die is turned down to far for that brass. Mush have been some long brass in bad need of trimming if other brass sizes fine in that die setup, the crimp ring was hitting the case mouth before the case was sized all the way causing the case neck to buckle like that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I've loaded MAL 5.56 brass and had no problems with it. It seems OK to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
the neck does look rather elongated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I've reloaded about 400 MAL 5.56 cases, and those 400 cases have been fired on average 4 times each.  

Works fine.  I had no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here.  I have some on 3 and 4 reloads that haven't given me any trouble for blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I have some on 3 and 4 reloads that haven't given me any trouble for blasting ammo.

Ditto. Had a whole case of the Malaysian stuff. Still reloading some of those (4th or 5th loading). The rest are sitting in boxes waiting their turn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top