Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:57:38 AM EDT
What is the difference?  I have a chance to buy an M99 that is about 3 years old with 20 rounds through it for $2500.

Edit.  I guess the a1 has a shorter, fluted barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correct, the biggest difference is the bolt and the number of lugs cut into the bolt and action.

They differ between the two models making it so that they are not interchangable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The M99 and 99-1 have 21 locking lugs ala interrupted buttress threads. The 99-1 has the 29" fluted barrel. The 99 has a 33" heavy barrel.

The 99A1 rifles have a new bolt that only has 9 heavy lugs still in the buttress pattern. The lenght of pull is about 2" shorter. The trigger housing on the A1 was moved to the rear that much. The trigger housings of the 2 models will not interchange.

The A1 model has a 4140 rail with screws that secure it to the receiver. The 99 had the rail as an extrusion that was intergral to the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Totally off topic, but if you decide you do not want to buy the rifle.  I may take it.
Matt
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I just brought it home.  (sorry Matt)  It's in perfect shape.  Now I need an optic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The newer M99 models have a more effective muzzle brake, also, believe you can tell the diff in pix as three holes/slots versus two.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just brought it home.  (sorry Matt)  It's in perfect shape.  Now I need an optic.

AHHHH I cant find one.  How do you like it.  Have you shot it yet?  can I ask how much $$$$$$$$$ these things go for now?

I've got about 3k to throw at one.....Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
It is very nice.  Well made and really simple.  I am going shooting tomorrow.  I paid $2500 and just got lucky and found it locally.  I had a Springfield Armory scope laying around from an M1A I don't have any more, so I mounted it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top