Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 7:39:17 AM EDT
My Grandfather is giving me a Mauser that he brought back from WW2 made in 1936.  He said he has shot it before but it has been 30 years since he has shot it.  I was going to clean it then put some 8mm through it when I go out there in a month or should I take it to a gunsmith then go shot it.  I have 2 Enfields so I know how to clean a bolt action rifle just want to know what I should do as soon as I have it in my hands.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#1]
There's NO competent gunsmiths available around here so I've been assuming that function.  Hard to recommend that to a NEWBIE though.

Some of these have been demilled in not so obvious ways.  Take it all apart and look really good for cracks and holes drilled in bolts and chambers.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
My Grandfather is giving me a Mauser that he brought back from WW2 made in 1936.  He said he has shot it before but it has been 30 years since he has shot it.  I was going to clean it then put some 8mm through it when I go out there in a month or should I take it to a gunsmith then go shot it.  I have 2 Enfields so I know how to clean a bolt action rifle just want to know what I should do as soon as I have it in my hands.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You lucky dog. See if you can get some stories to go with the rifle from your grandfather. Those old soldiers have my highest respect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top