Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2002 1:57:31 PM EDT
Finally got myself out to the range today to break in the M96 with the top feed kit.

Robinson says that the rifle will require 100-200 rounds of break-in to properly feed 30-round magazines, but this example fed from fully loaded 30-rounders from the get go.

Accuracy was impressive; best 3-round group, with Barnul steel-cased 62gr, was ~ 3/4 MOA. Average 3-shot group was ~ 1 1/4 MOA. This is with the offset iron sights at a 100 yard sighting target, using a Harris bipod.

30-rounds fired in 60 seconds resulted in a 3 1/2" group at 100 yards. After firing 210 rounds of the 62 gr Barnul and 60 rounds of 55 gr PMC, I put 30 rounds of M855 through it in 60 seconds or so into a group under 3". In general, I would fire 90-120 rounds, then switch to another gun for about 20 minutes, then go back to the M96. Gas setting ended up on 2 (0-5 scale), once it had fired about 200 rounds. We'll have to see if it stays there as it gets dirtier or when it's cleaned up.

The rifle was pretty much sighted dead on as supplied from the factory. I didn't have the urge to switch it to rifle configuration to see how that would shoot; maybe next time. Though if the rifle barrel (21") shoots as well as the bren barrel (17.75" fluted bull) it might be worth some good glass.

Total of 300 rounds through it today; no malfs. I've got the SE PA shoot on Sunday, so I think I'll leave it dirty until then and see how many rounds it will go before it has a problem.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Your killin me. I want a M96 Recon so bad I cant stand it, as well as a few other things. But $$ is just so strapped right now. Dang!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you aim with the magazine sticking up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The sights are offset to the left side. I really like this set up, think that's what I would get on next purchase.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you get it and how much was it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Steve queried:

Where did you get it and how much was it?  

If you need to ask, you can' afford it.

Dimmig's Guns in Chalfont, PA. M96 Rifle plus Bren kit for $1800 out the door. Somewhat less than he had it marked (Retail is $2150 for the combo, he had it marked $1950), but I buy a fair amount of stuff from him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top