Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 3:56:38 PM EDT
some guy brought one of these in today and sold it for cheap. i am thinking about buying it and bringing it home... what do you guys know about this rifle? where was it made? what does it shoot? and who used it? i heard from the guy that sold it that it was a military rifle... is this factual? any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
www.google.com
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
gee thanks, that was helpful.

does anyone own one of these? and do they shoot the 7.62x57 or the 8mm and isthat the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The M48 was indeed a military rifle produced in Yugoslavia in the late 1940s and early 1950s. It's a bolt action rifle chambered in 7.92x57mm. It's supposedly pretty fun to shoot, and ammunition is plentiful and dirt cheap.

We have a special forum for guns like that here at ARFCOM, it's called the Curio & Relic forum. Make a post about it in there; they'll tell you everything you need to know.

If you want to get some more information and read some articles on it, you can head on over to www.surplusrifle.com. It's a whole website that is dedicated to older military rifles such as the M48. Here is their page for the M48; you can see a big ol' list of M48-related articles on the right side of the page.

Hope this helped.

ETA: Yes, 7.92x57 and 8mm Mauser are the same thing, just different names.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Yugo 48..got it for $75.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks nick!!! great post!! phil, how do you like it? is it a pretty powerful gun? i think it will make the perfect long gun with my G26 on my hip... the 8mm at my shoulder and the 9mm on my hip!!! i am ready for anything. lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They're fun rifles.  The M48 has a milled trigger guard, the M48A has stamped parts.  Both are nice.  Here is my M48;

I would not pay more than $175 for one, if you look hard enough you'll be able to find nice ones for around $100.

Here is a forum on Yugo mausers;

p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm9
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is not nearly that pretty. i paid about 180 for mine, doesnt look to pretty but it shoots fine bores in exellent condition. As long as the gun didnt have rust or pitting i was fine with a beat up stock, that way i dont have to worry about scratching it up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
yea i am getting one for like $100.00. the end of the barrel on the one i am getting looks like it has been shot alot.. i couldnt tell if there was any rust on the barrel or not, couldnt see down the barrel that far...

i amn excited about getting the M48A though. it is either that or a chinese norinco SKS. i think i will go with the m48a, what do you men think?

NICE PICTURE OF THER M48 MAN!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I would get an M48 over an SKS right now, ammo is easier to find and cheaper.  If you want to look down the barrel, the bolt release is on the left side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks nick!!! great post!! phil, how do you like it? is it a pretty powerful gun? i think it will make the perfect long gun with my G26 on my hip... the 8mm at my shoulder and the 9mm on my hip!!! i am ready for anything. lol

I think it is a fun gun.  I like it, but I wouldn;t mind seeing it go for the price i paid for it.  I initially purchased 2, one for a project gun.

My Yugo and my .30-08 custom Yugo I made.  I haven't shot the 30-06 scout yugo alot, but it will definitly be a nice deer rifle.  My Yugo hasn;t seen a range trip since I got my Beretta storm .45 and my Remington 700.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
great info fellas. i am glad i am actually getitng some feedback with some substance!!!! i love this ar15 forum. god bless america
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I like mine well enough. It was the best surplus Mauser rifle for the money at the time I bought it. The average M48 is more accurate than the average M48 owner. I will admit that the early and mid-war Russian capture K98k's probably have a better fit and finish on average than their communist counterparts. But  for the money they're good rifles.

Galland
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks galland. i am really looking forward to bringing mine home.. i just need to get some more money.. i am waiting until i have the chance to take her to the range and shoot it.. i looked at the barrel yesterday and it had some dust and crud in it from where it has been sitting for so long.... i put some break free in it and am going to run a brush bore through it and get the crud out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's mine. M48A. I took the picture in the parking lot after leaving the gun show where I bought it. This one has fully matching serial numbers and is very clean. I paid $200 for it. That's a higher price than what you need to pay. I wanted a nice one, so was willing to pay the price. I haven't cleaned off the cosmoline yet, so can't say how it shoots. I love the stock, how it fits the hands and shoulder. It's a beautiful gun.

GL

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I've handled several of these.  The stocks are nice, but very rough.  It's obvious not much emphasis was put into finishing the wood so when I buy one of these (I'm planning on it), I'm definitely going to refinish the stock or at least sand it down a little bit.  

I like the fact that teak is water-resistant and these rifles have less collector value than an authentic German Kar98k, so you can do things to them without worrying about a loss of value.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's mine. M48A. I took the picture in the parking lot after leaving the gun show where I bought it. This one has fully matching serial numbers and is very clean. I paid $200 for it. That's a higher price than what you need to pay. I wanted a nice one, so was willing to pay the price. I haven't cleaned off the cosmoline yet, so can't say how it shoots. I love the stock, how it fits the hands and shoulder. It's a beautiful gun.

GL

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ZBlack/800x600/DSCF3007b.jpg

That looks great.

That is actually a good price for one that looks new/unissued. Mitchell's Mauser slaps a $400+ price on those.

I'll give you $200 for it and an extra ten dollars for your trouble.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll sell you mine for $100.  

I fired mine the other day and each fired shell, the primer stuck out a little, check the headspace with the gauges and there was none.  Strange...but anyway...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Very fun to shoot but be aware this gun was made when men were men, notice the steel recoil pad.  The 8mm is a full power round that packs a punch so it does recoil a lot more than a semi-auto.  For warned is foretold.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If it hurts you either put on more clothes or your not holding it right, i can shoot my m48a, and friends m44 all day, only thing that gets to me is when i scramble my brains from the recoil
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Very fun to shoot but be aware this gun was made when men were men, notice the steel recoil pad.  The 8mm is a full power round that packs a punch so it does recoil a lot more than a semi-auto.  For warned is foretold.

I fully belive that my .308 Rem 700 kicks harder then my M48.  The M48 is a blast to shoot, even with the steel pad.  But yeah, it still packs a mean punch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fully belive that my .308 Rem 700 kicks harder then my M48.  The M48 is a blast to shoot, even with the steel pad.  But yeah, it still packs a mean punch.

Really, my 700VS in .308 is a pussy cat but it has a 24" bull barrel and weighs 12 lbs.  That being said, I can shoot about 100 rounds of 8mm before it starts to bother me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 20" bull barrel on mine.  I bet a large factor in that would be that I was shooting the .308 off a bench in a rather uncomfortable position ( stupid angled awkward benches) and the M48 I shot offhand...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I can only shoot around 60rds of Romanian 8mm and my should starts to bruise.  It's still fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top