Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 7:35:39 PM EDT
I was searching for info on the M40A1 and found the following:
The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA).
The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia.

Does anyone know of a source for a close replication of this particular rifle?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]

...The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are:....

Don't forget the hard-to-find 5R barrel!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The new Guns and Ammo has an article on an Ed Brown .308 tactical rifle that uses the Remington 700 action and it even comes with 60's style camo.  It shot 1/2" MOA, but it is expensive at about $ 2,900.00 I believe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Chandler rifle built by norm chandler www.ironbrigadearmory.com this is pretty damn close to the real thing
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Texas Brigade Armory also.  I believe it is Mike Lau.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are both right on what I was talking about!  It looks like about $2,500-$5,000 for a really nicely equipped model.  

I noticed on the TBA site-"NOTE: The M40A1 and M24 will continue to have original (pre-2001) bolt sleeves. All other models will have Remington's new bolt sleeve with the firing pin lock unless customer requests Remington's original style sleeve".  

I don't understand the significance of that reference.

I am going to read the info on those two sites and will be back with more questions.

Thanks again for the quick and accurate replies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi all,

If you guys are interested in ultimately hardened, amazingly accurate rifles.... Col. Norm Chandler makes THE finest rifle going. He has no black magic to his rifles... and all the info he gets he dissemenates to the precision community at large. It is just the finest materials and workmanship that is available. He has built the better mousetrap.

Be warned about TBA rifles and his bedding system is, lets say, not as good as it could be. Customer service is scarce also. YMMV

You have to operate an IBA rifle to appreciate one. At the 1000 yard line... they speak for themselves. Even in the hands of tyros. Seeing is believing. You will wait like 2 years, but you will never wipe the grin off your face once you get one....

Dram out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]

http://www.tacticalstocks.com/m40a1.htm

http://www.gaprecision.net/indexr.html

http://www.norcalprecision.com
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
You won't get any closer to the real deal than one of the rifles built by Col. Chandler (USMC ret) at www.ironbrigadearmory.com

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The Chandler rifles are built to exceed the USMC standards. If you go to the web site, there are several articles written about thier rifles, that go into detail on what it takes to make the rifle last and shoot the way they do for thousands of rounds. I have personally seen one of thier rifles that has 11,000 rounds thru it and still shot under 1" groups at 100 yds. The Chandler Sniper rifles are built by the same USMC 2112 armorers that worked at PWS Quantico, building the M40A1, so they know a little about making a rugged rifle that shoots..Col Chandler refined the process using the latest materials available and making upgrades where the DoD didn`t want too.

Jeff,

I will be stocking the rifle you and Jr. talked about. Let me know when your ready and I`ll take care of you.

CS#158
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
CS#158,

Going though a seperation right now, so finances are shakey at best.  When things settle down and $$ is better I will definately hook up with you.

Stay Safe Brother!

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the domestic probs. No worries on the rifle..I`ll take care of you when your ready.. you don`t have to worry about that.

The website is up, still got a bunch of work to do, but it is turning out pretty cool. Were gonna film a team making a room entry (from inside the room) at the SWAT school next month and Ron and I shooting during a match, so we can make up a 60 second video bite for the intro, it should turn out pretty slick. Check it out and let me know what you think so far.  http://www.a-zonespeceqt.com/

Take care bud,
CS#158
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#13]
CS#158,

It looks great!!!  I bookmarked your site, I'm sure once $$ are back in order I'll ge giving you a call ;-)

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Georgia precision has a good one
GG
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out www.texasbrigadearmory.com
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
You may be waiting up to two years or more for a Texas Brigade Armory rifle,Mike is VERY behind in his orders.
I got my three M40A1,s from G.A.Precision in 6 weeks ( SOLID and very Accurate )Quality is outstanding
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the great replies!  I really think the Tactical rifle from Chandler is what I was looking for.

I have no experience whatsoever with the scope "options" (upgrades). Any comments or insights are appreciated.

Comes with:
Leupold Tactical Scope    4.5 x 14 x 40-mm Adjustable Objective    Target knobs with 1/4-minute click adjustments    Duplex Reticle    U.S. manufactured, Lifetime warranty    Optional 3/4-minute USMC mil-dot reticle    Butler Creek flip-up scope covers.

Options

*  Option BTP-001 USMC Mil-Dot Reticle $125.00
     Replace the standard Leupold Duplex Reticle with a USMC ¾ minute mil-dot reticle. This reticle provides accurate range determination and lead for moving targets. Leupold lifetime warranty remains in effect.

* Option BTP-002 M1 LR 3.5x10x40 Scope Upgrade $250.00
     Replace the Vari-X III Tactical scope with the new M1 LR W/USMC Mil-Dot Reticle

* Option BTP-ILL M1 LR 3.5x10x40 Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle $375.00

* Option BTP-NXS Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm Illuminated Mildot $650.00
     Upgrade to the NXS Mildot reticle scope. Includes the 30MM ring upgrade.

Finally, any suggestions on these 2  options?

*  Option BTP-003 Steel Trigger Guard $450.00
     Replace the standard Remington alloy trigger guard assembly with an all-steel IBA trigger guard assembly. Use of this steel trigger guard better anchors the receiver to the bedding block so the rifle will hold zero. Includes routing of stock to accommodate the larger steel trigger guard, and the trigger guard is bedded with Titanium Devcon.

* Option BTP-004 Universal Day/Night Scope Rail Package $150.00
     The most versatile scope mounting system for the Remington M700. A strong, robust Picatinny-style rail that is compatible with a wide variety of optics, including ANPVS-4 night vision scopes as well as standard daytime optics. Utilizes all four receiver-mounting holes. The rail is approximately five inches long and has 20 MOA built in to enhance long range shooting capability. An advanced slot pattern provides many options for positioning the scope in order to receive perfect eye relief. Requires appropriate rings, which can be torqued in place. Badger Ordnance, RAD, or Leupold MK 4 rings are compatible. With the IBA Tactical Precision Rifle the Badger 30MM rings are used with 1" ring reducers to accommodate the Vari-X III scope.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi Txdoc,

If you have any questions about what to order, call up and discuss it with them. If you are serious about doing a chandler rifle they will help to get you onto the right path.

Dram out

Hi CS158! Hah!... the way my date turned out I should have been at the damned hockey game with you and your woman!!!

Dram...
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]
TxDoc,

You can feel free to e-mail me.. I`m a dealer for the Chandlers, I would be glad to explain everything to you.. or call Norm Jr. and he can square you away with your choices. My e-mail is [email protected]

USMC03,

Thanks... alot of work has been put into it.. and got a much more to go. I`ve got a couple really big orders coming in.. so the shelves should stay pretty well stocked.  Stay safe bud,

Dram...LOL..Guess you didn`t see the highlights did you??  Hopefully once the playoffs start.. they get thier shit back together and remember how to play.

CS#158
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as custom Rem 700's are concerned, G&A Precision (George Gardner) tops them all.  I have shot the T.B.A. and I.B.A. rifles, and they are precision weapons indeed. (note: the I.B.A. one piece scope mount/rings is one of the trickest parts I have seen for this rifle)  IMHO, and in my experience, George makes the most accurate rifle I have ever witnessed.  My shooting partner has one of George's rifles, and the accuracy could best be described as "monotonous".  We have only shot it @ distances up to 500 yrds, but the largest groups have been .5 moa.  Other items of interest might be his turn around time (three weeks on customer supplied Rem 700 PSS for my partner), he uses the 5R barrels, and he is a shooter.  Last time I checked, his prices were VERY competitive.  If your looking for this type of rifle, you owe it to yourself to check out G&A Precision in Kansas City, Mo.

Note - The only benefit to using the "old" Remington bolt sleeves that I am aware of, is that they are necessary to install the "speedlock" firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one of George Gardner's rifles and it is perfect.  If I do my part I can put 10 rounds thru a hole you can cover with a dime at 100 meters.  My rifle took exactly one month from the time I ordered it until delivery. You can see it and some of my early attempts with it at
community.webshots.com/user/dennismuldrew , click on the ROCK.
I ordered it with a clip slotted receiver, and the Badger base to go into it. I only have 81 rounds thru it so far, and am still working up a load, but it is incredably accurate. The fit and finish are flawless.  If I had and extra 5K plus I would also buy a Chandler, but for half the price in a fractio of the time you can't go wrong with Geores work.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top