Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:30:36 AM EDT
I need help trying to decide which one I want to get.

Was the M44 really designed to shoot with the bayonet extended? If so, how will the POI change?

Also, is there any difference in quality between the Mosins at Big 5 and the Mosins at a big name C&R source like AIM surplus?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:10:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By spork:
I need help trying to decide which one I want to get.

Was the M44 really designed to shoot with the bayonet extended? If so, how will the POI change?

Also, is there any difference in quality between the Mosins at Big 5 and the Mosins at a big name C&R source like AIM surplus?

I don't know whether it was designed, as much as someone "found out" that with the bayo extended, it tends to shoot very differently than with it retracted. I had one that the POI changed about 4-6", which is signifigant. Enough so, that I would never own another as a shooter. I'd opt for a '38 if it were me.

That said, as long as you keep the bayo in or out, and adjust sights accordingly, you shouldn't have a problem.

AIM has very nice M38's, I don't know about Big 5 so I can't comment on them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:26:21 AM EDT
I would get both.

however, the baynet doesn't mean anything to me, just more metal up front.

I voted M38
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:56:30 AM EDT
Many of the m38's have seen heavy use during WW2 and have pitted bores, or have a counterbore done. Some of the early M44's saw heavy use too. If you can find a 46-48 M44, it was made post war and did not get as much use. I have a 1948 M44, and it has a perfect bore. Nice strong grooves, bright, and no pitting. I have seen some barrels on beater M38's that look like a smoothbore. BTW. I got my M44 at Big5. AFAIK, Big5 gets their Mosins from the same distributors(CAI) as everyone else. Go to a few Big5's and ask to look at all of their Mosins in the back as the ones they have out front on the shelf are usually the crappy ones. When I went to go get my 91/30, all the had out were crude mid-war rifles. I asked to se some in the back and he brought out a very nice 1936 Tula hex receiver! I bought that one of course!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:07:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:11:24 PM EDT
Go with an M-38 in an original stock. That extra metal just adds weight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:40:30 PM EDT
I'm left-handed. Can I still efficiently operate these guns when shooting left-handed?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:34:22 PM EDT

I'm left-handed. Can I still efficiently operate these guns when shooting left-handed?

Heck, they're not that smooth for a righty! It'll be awkward, but do-able.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:20:29 PM EDT
They are cheap enough to get both.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:56:55 PM EDT
M44.

Most on the market are in excellent condition (manufactured after the war). You can adjust the front sight with the bayo folded to shoot POA. Mine is dead nuts on with the bayo folded.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:51:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

I disagree, being left handed you have more leverage opening the action. I think it works better left hand. Granted it harder to open the action because of the stubby bolt. I think the Mosin Nagants are damn near as slick as the Krag
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:36:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

Originally Posted By swingset:

I disagree, being left handed you have more leverage opening the action. I think it works better left hand. Granted it harder to open the action because of the stubby bolt. I think the Mosin Nagants are damn near as slick as the Krag

Mosin Action Slick? Noooooooooooo.

Now a mauser action.....thats slick!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:22 PM EDT
Where in CA are you located? I'm in San Jose and have an M44 and you're more than welcome to shoot it I've also got a 91/30 but that isn't on your list....
Top Top