User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:16:29 AM EDT

# 2
# 3
# 4
# 5
# 6
This is what I want it to look like......

My plan is to have my Springfield NM M1A bedded in this stock above.  

1) I am going to do the exterior of the stock with BEHR 600 and top it off with a few coats of Tung Oil(more the military look, matte not gloss).

2) The M14 AMTU Accurizing Manual  P. 1  , P. 2 calls for the unoiled interior of the stock be finished with an epoxy stated in P 1..

Does anyone know where to find this "Epoxy" ??

3)  Can anyone suggest a True Craftsman/Professional familiar with the M1A's where I can send this rifle to have the metal installed and the action bedded  properly ?

Any suggestions/links to assure I don't screw this up are appreciated.

Thank you Gentlemen !  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The stocks their talking about were epoxy impregnated under heat and pressure.No one currently does this,the last ones made were made by Fajen but there was only one guy that did the impregnating proccess for them. He died and there were no more and Fajen is gone too now.I'm sure you could use an epoxy or some type of sealant but you will not be able to duplicate those stocks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
For number two, the steel accuraglass is one of the best out.
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1048&title=STEEL+BED?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the Behr product has some varnish in it.  If I'm not mistaken it will seal the stock up and prevent any further absorbtion of anything.  You go with tung oil first and seal that up with the Behr and use a little 0000 steel wool to dull the finish down some.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the BEHR product is primarily Tung oil with some additional resins and driers in it to aid in speeding up the finish.  Flood the stock with the first coat, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then wipe off the excess and let it sit for the night.  Repeat the second day after the stock feels "dry" to your hand.  Each and every time you apply a coat, make sure the previous one is cured up.  This oil cures (does not dry) and needs the oxygen to get into it for that to happen.  That's what the driers do.  And you really do want the first and second coats to soak in and cure in the wood.  That's what provides you with build you're looking for.   The resins (solids) just help the build more quickly.  So, don't be afraid to use it on your stock.  When you're done, you'll have a very nice, hard, and water-resistant finish any oil can produce.  Then, take some 0000 steel wool and dip it into the oil.  Burnish the entire stock with the oil-soaked wool and that will knock down the shine you'll end up with.  

That's a pretty stock for sure!

Rome
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhhh Behrs TOF

Cabinetman's advice has helped me both save and at the same time not destroy quite a few great stocks.

Check out his forum at Parallax Bills house of C&R.

p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34

Thanks for all the great tips Rome.

JR
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ahhhh Behrs TOF

Cabinetman's advice has helped me both save and at the same time not destroy quite a few great stocks.

Check out his forum at Parallax Bills house of C&R.

p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34

Thanks for all the great tips Rome.

JR

What is the login info?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is one I'm working on.  I just put a second coat of Toung Oil on it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Vern
You have to go to the main site and set up an "e-z board" login. It's at the top near "control center"

p102.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

JR
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Somebody say BEHR 600 ??????????  .............

Don't ask. I told the lady this isn't what I ordered and she insisted that it was sooo.......

I need some more projects ................................................................
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you buy the stock on ebay?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/DSC07948.jpg

Somebody say BEHR 600 ??????????  .............

Don't ask. I told the lady this isn't what I ordered and she insisted that it was sooo.......

I need some more projects ................................................................

Is that a sling eyelet in the weep hole?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's mine.  I used Acruglas.  Smith Mount, Brookfield internals, Kahles ZF-84 scope w/Mounting Solutions 26mm rings.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top