Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2009 2:18:41 PM EST
Ive been wondering, can you buy M203 launchers brand new or do they have to be made before a certin date. I know how with machine guns, you can only buy ones made before a certin date, but are they like suppresors where you can buy them brand new?
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 2:27:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/16/2009 2:28:21 PM EST by cosmos556]
Wait til a real expert pops in, but AFAIK you can still buy and register them as DDs or you can order a 37mm launcher, Form-1 convert it to DD, and send the barrel off to be bored to 40mm. This is all contingent on your state allowing registration/civilian ownership of a DD, of course

ETA: Machine gun restrictions are due to the Hughes Amendment back in '86
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 2:58:39 PM EST
I'd like to read the answer too.

I recall something about anything bigger than 0.50" that isn't a shotgun was classified a DD. 0.50 is ~12.5mm, so the 37mm is roughly 3x bigger.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 4:25:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/16/2009 4:27:32 PM EST by grog18b]
No, anyone can make a destructive device by filing a Form 1 at any time. Unlike machine guns, DDs you can still make, as long as they are legal in your state. Check Bardwells FAQ on NFA (a web search) will tell you if they are legal in your state, and what type. You can buy an M203 receiver as a title 1 firearm from an FFL, it transfers like a pistol. Then you can either keep it a title 1 with a 37mm barrel, and NO AP ammo, or you can "make" it into a DD by filing the form 1 and after approval, adding a 40mm barrel to it, or keeping the 37 and adding AP ammo to your stock. (supply) GROG

ETA–– You can buy 203 receivers brand new, or used, as well as M79 receivers (mostly used) and add a 37mm barrel to each. Randy Shivak over at Mr40mm.com sells 37mm M79 barrels brand new. He also sells M203 receivers complete, as well as a few assorted rounds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 7:25:41 PM EST
Sort of a thread hijack, but how does the FFL fill out the 4473? I assume they fill out "receiver" but all the other fields are the same (i.e. 40mm as caliber)?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:57:10 PM EST
From the FAQ:

You get yourself a Form 1, and do the same thing, except a F1 is to build a firearm not to transfer one. You find a dealer with an m203 receiver in stock, buy it and they ship it to any FFL and transfer it as a title 1 rifle. You put the serial number on the F1 and send it to the ATF except F1's go straight to W VA not GA. Once it is approved you can purchase a 40mm barrel to complete your launcher. The only downside of this is you must engrave your name city and state on the launcher somewhere in plain view to the NFA font specifications.
Top Top