Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2003 1:43:32 PM EDT
Have you ever gotten it and how bad? Pics??
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
1 only years ago when I first got my Garand from the DCM. No pics, sorry. But it did hurt like shiz, for days.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a slow learner 3 times for me,
each time i ended up losing my thumbnail and had a nifty reminder of the event for the next 6 months
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch. I wonder if John Garand knew this would happen to our G.I.'s but didn't tell anyone. Mabey he wanted to play a joke on us? Hmmm...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well yes, sort of anyway.   I got off easy.  The bolt barely caught the edge of my thumb and didn't really slam on it.  It hurt for about five minutes, just enough to remind me to pay attention.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
About three weeks ago, I got nipped below the cuticle, by that damn bolt. Now there's a small, dark spot under my thumbnail. Nothing compared to what a 40lb. chunk of stainless did to the nail on my ring finger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I really can't get it very easily,  since I'm left handed I can't load it with out one hand on the bolt handle then the other loading.

Although while showing my friend how the action works,  I told him to hold the bolt and I pushed the follower down.  He let the bolt slam on my thumb from about halfway open.  Hurt for about a half hour or so (it closed on the back of my thumb knuckle).
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it on both thumbs, in the same match (this year's Garand).  A glancing blow to the right thumb trying to get the &%*#$*#*( two round clip to load in rapids.  Another glancing blow to the left thumb via the op rod smacking it in standing. Yes, need to adjust that standing position a bit.  

Still pulled a bronze out of that match tho.  Would have gotten silver but missed the wind shift in the rapids.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeap.  About 10 minutes after I got it home and having just been warned that I'd get bitten not while shooting but rather while just messing around with it.  I was showing someone here how it works and WHAM!

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
OUCH, I want a Garand, but I danno'...
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been nipped a few times but nothing serious.

Hakim thumb on the other hand is a man killer! You can loose a finger with those badboys...!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
no
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
M1 Thumb, with a standard 8 round clip, is just about impossible to get unless you chicken load, that is push the clip in timidly.  Or try to hold the op rod handle back at the same time you insert the clip.

As long as you maintain downward pressure on the top cartridge the bolt won't release.  It should release as soon as you release pressure -- but probably won't as the rifles get worn and you have to bump the operating rod shut.  Keep your hand away from the op rod handle.  Should be no different with a properly made short clip.

That said, it's easy to get M1 Thumb when closing the bolt on an empty magazine 'cuz you have to depress the magazine follower quite some distance.  

But loading should never be a problem unless you're timid or use the wrong procedure and attempt to hold the op rod to the rear.

I got M1 Thumb from the M14 when I bumped the stock and released the bolt with my thumb in there.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Chuck's right about maintaining constant downward pressure on the clip. Since I am right handed, I also rest my fingers on the op rod side of the stock while keeping the knife edge of my hand just ahead of the handle. If I happen to mess up while loading the clip, the hand will still catch the handle and prevent the M1 thumb from happening.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
AK47s will also do this!  We had one a Norinco one that would hold the bolt back if you pulled it back enough.  We thought it had a hold open device. IT DOESNT. Ouch!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
never. I read about it before the first time I went shooting with my M1 so I was overly careful
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Fired one for years and never got one.  The trick is, after setting the en bloc clip in position....let your ENTIRE HAND pop straight up!  (Don't simply release pressure on the op rod with the thumb still in jeopardy!)
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
No M1 thumb, for me, always thought it would hurt to much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
i got my M1 thumb trying to tweak my SLED.  damn thing wouldn't stay in when i first got it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Basic training. Closing bolt after Sgt handed rifle  back to me. He yelled and laughed. Made sure that was the last time. Got the thumb out real fast after that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Funeral Detail with the Military Intelligence Headquarters in Fort Devens Massachussetts, 1993.  Nickel Plated M1 with beautiful wood, partially plugged barrel for blank fire.  I am a "stand-in-alternate" on the honor salute team.  First time handling rifle AND ammo.  I am in immaculate Dress Blues with White gloves.  While watching others load, I s-l-o-w-l-y push in the clip of blanks.  Next thing I know my thumb, glove and all is damn near in the chamber!

That day seemed like the longest funeral detail for me ever.

SFC told me:  "Pain is a part of life, and by God you know you are alive today, don't ya?!?!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
When I first got my M1 is had a worn op spring.. I never had any problem with it feeding but you could stick a clip in and the bolt would not move forward. So I never had to worry about M1 thumb. Now that it's been converted to 7.62x51 and has a new spring I'd better watch out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't gotten it YET.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope. I just push the clip in hard while keeping the other 4 fingers rigid so they will catch the handle of the oprod and stop or at least slow it down. I also keep my thumb to the back of the bolt. That way it will probably push my thumb out of the way instead of trying to cram it into the chamber.

I try to use both hands when I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top