Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/23/2002 8:52:33 AM EDT
A friend of mine is holding a M1 carbine for someone TDY. While fondline his collection, he let me hold the M1 carbine. I took to it like a cat to a particular sock. I'm not sure what was so great about it, but I think it's small size, light weight, and good looks played a lot into it. Kinda like my women.

Anyway, I'm looking for some good info on M1 carbines. I would like to purchase one, but am a bit taken by the gun show prices that I've seen. Supposedly he picked this one up for $150 several years ago (3-5?), but the cheapest I've seen at a gun show is $600. Is this the going rate for a carbine?

Any hints on what to look for, or look out for? Any web sites with good info on caliber, configurations, etc...? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:37:42 PM EDT
well first off.. I'd get the book by Craig Riesch called 'The M1 Carbine' it list the codes, serial numbers, and different variants in the parts... useful to have when shopping for a carbine.. so you can avoid the cock and bull stories that will be told by some unscrupulous dealers.. stick with a real USGI Carbine... you will pay anywhere around $400 on up for a GI Carbine... they are all in 30Carbine and only few of the commercial Carbines were made in a few different calibers... also over on the CSP forum
(www.jouster.com) in the carbine area, are a few really good experts that will gladly answer any questions you might have about these fun little rifles..
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:19:46 PM EDT
Thank you for the info! I did a search on Amazon.com, and came up with The US M1 Carbine: war time production, by the author you mentioned. Unfortunately it lists the book as out of print, but I'm sure that I can find one at a fun show somewhere.

Is the ammo widely available? I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with the .30 carbine ammo.

Fortunately, I'm broke now, so I have plenty of time for research while I save up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:46:00 PM EDT
I recently bought an Inland USGI carbine from a board member for $400 that was mint. $400 is about as cheap as you'll find.
Top Top