Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 2:23:50 PM EDT
I read that the M1 carbine magazines are prone to corrosion.  What do you do to minimize the start of corrosion?  How do you store them?  Clean and oil after use?  Don't worry about it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I just received two rusty GI mags with a new canvas pouch that fits over the buttstock.  I think the mags are "IA".   I would say to store mags dry with normal oiling like gunmetal.

My problem with mags has been they drop out of the rifle as I shoot them.  GI 15 rounders are ok in my Plainfield rifle but 30 rounders and aftermarket mags have been falling out.  I may be making progress on this issue as I have noticed the magazine catch does not always return to the original position when a mag is loaded.  Maybe my mags will stay in if I make sure all is well with the magazine catch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If I am not mistake, you need a m-2 magazine latch to keep the 30 round magazines in place.  The original m-1 magazine catches usually only work with the original 15 round magazines. I have seen the m-2 catches listed at both Orion 7 and Fulton armory.  I think that they run about $10 if I remember correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top