Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2002 2:45:06 AM EDT
I figure my next 2 gun purchases will be an M1 carbine and a Garand. From the little I've learned a lot of parts can be replaced thus lessening the value from a collector standpoint. Then the whole re-import thing. So what books are good ? I'd like one that tells what stamps are where and what they should be, what to look and look out for, also a good book on maintainance (orig. govt manual or is there better)
Also is the govt. manual available as a PDF online anywhere ?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the best manual would be Scott Duff's M1 GARAND; An owner's guide. It is a true owner's manual and indespensible. If you get no other book, get this one.

Joe Poyer's M1 GARAND 1936 TO 1957, part of the "FOR COLLECTORS ONLY" series from North Cape Publications does a good job of disecting the M1 pieces/parts & markings.

Bruce Canfield's book A Collector's Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine is a good book and the only one I am aware of for the carbine. I don't have a carbine so I havn't tried real hard to find any books for it.

At some point you need to get Scott Duff's books The M1 Garand: WWll and The M1 Garand: Postwar. The first one tells the story of how the M1 came about and covers the manufactoring steps, including the cost of parts and numbers produced. The method and rate of production is amazing. The postwar book ends the story of the M1 and covers the NM rifles as well. Not as amazing a read as the first book but the story is incomplete without it.

Enjoy

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the manual:
http://www.geocities.com/buckrodgrs/M1/TB_23-7-1/Cover.html

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top