Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2002 5:36:33 PM EDT
At fulton Armory FAQ about uncut opp rods,it is said that one should not shoot with them!

Not because they were unsafe or anything but were a must to keep orig and very valuable to collectors whom want to assemble a pre-war rifle!

Mine is a june of 41 rifle,so what would I have to gain by buying another just to shoot mine more often?

I'm not planning on selling mine(ever) so wouldn't mine be worth more to me just having orig pre-war opp rod?

I looked and mine is not stress reliefed or cut.     Whats your thought RAF?   Anyone...

Bob  
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the war-time rods were relief cut making the uncut rods more valuable to collectors.

The rods were modified to relieve stress risers in that sharp 90° joint. Theoretically, the rod could crack and break at this point, sometimes it did and it could be catastrophic.

I have an uncut rod for my M1 but I use a postwar replacement rod for all shooting purposes. Better to wear out a cheaper part than a more expensive one. And if the cheaper is safer, so much the better.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read that the uncut op rods developed cracks at the unrelieved corner mostly from launching rifle grenades.

The only lookout for you would be if your rod ever did develop cracks, you would then have to try to locate a good original op rod to replace your's with, to keep it as issued. The supply of uncut rods WILL eventually dry up.

All this depends on whether your current rod has been used with grenades, and how much you plan to shoot it.  It could show cracks tommorow, or never.  
You pays your money, and takes your chances.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most of the war-time rods were relief cut making the uncut rods more valuable to collectors.

The rods were modified to relieve stress risers in that sharp 90° joint. Theoretically, the rod could crack and break at this point, sometimes it did and it could be catastrophic.

I have an uncut rod for my M1 but I use a postwar replacement rod for all shooting purposes. Better to wear out a cheaper part than a more expensive one. And if the cheaper is safer, so much the better.

Yes what Fulton said was that it didn't fail on its trip back just forward(like thats the most important trip for me,the lock up)!

So think the next buy will be a new opp rod!

Thanks(feel funny posting to a set of underwear) FOTL   (fruit-of-the-looms)!

HHHAAAA      Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top