Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2003 10:28:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any special precautions to take when (if!!!???) I take/send in my Garand to be refinished. I'd like it to be a dark black satin or gloss finish.

Ideally I'd like to pair it up with a really cool laminated stock I saw at the last gun show.

TIA
Jake
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:03:26 AM EDT
umm... have plenty of $$ in your bank account??

Send it to Dean's Gun Restoration. He does a phenomenal job. You might contact him and see about fitting with a new stock. Get the stock first, send the rifle and stock to him, and get back one beautiful gem of a rifle.

Oh, and you are REQUIRED to post pictures when it's done. Got it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:09:52 PM EDT
I know of a couple good shops in the Phoenix Arizona area if you are interested in shipping it West. Let me know...

I had a DCM M1 that I got about 15 years ago, It is a Springfield with a 1944 barrel and a fair shooter but mis-matchd wood and pretty much worn-off finish.

After a couple of years of hiding it in the back of the safe I had it done up nice. sort of "Half-Match" using National Match sights, tuned gas system, etc. The barrel was nearly perfect as measured by the 'smith and we decided to keep it. I had the metal refinished a parkerized/baked epoxy coating in satin dark gray (almost black) and had him glass bed it in a black/gray Fajen laminated stock.

It came out super nice! I have shot it some over the years and it still looks like new as the finish is very durable.

Thinking back I sometimes wish I would have gone with a new walnut stock to have a more traditional look, but it is still really sharp.

Oh yeah, it shoots 3" groups at 200 yards with a good high=power shooter behind it, my groups are a bit over 2" at 100 yards, which is still very pleasing to me!

In a photo next to my SuperMatch M14 (black MaMillan stock), the M1 simply draws your eye away from the M1A. The M1A is a real shooter by the way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:27:54 PM EDT
Thanks Matthew Q I'll check out Dean's website.
Of course on the pics, got to show it off.

BillSP1, do any of those shops have websites? I was almost thinking of just driving to Lauer CW (they're in WI I'm in MN)if they can do what I want.
Also do you have pics of those 2 rifles online?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:47:37 PM EDT
Jakezor, no pics online sorry.

My M1 Garand was fixed up by Phil Arrington of Arrington accuracy, web site is http://www.arringtonacuracy.com

The other guy local here also of some fame is Derek at Arizona Expert Arms (AZEX) he has a web site also, just do a search for Arizona Expert Arms. I have a FAL he built that not only is the best looking FAL type I have ever seen, but it performs flawlessly jear after year. Also have a Cetme that I had him redo; looks nice in OD green, but damned Century cast parts in the fire control group are breakage prone. www.arizonaex.com

hope this helps.

send me your e-mail address via IM mail and I will send back the M1 pic as an attachment, it is a good pic, has the M1, M1A, and my 1903-A3 together.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:15:33 PM EDT
Bill I haven't gotten an email from you yet. Another IM sent.
Top Top