Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 9:45:35 AM EDT
An acquaintence has recently told me that all Winchester manufactured M1's had the receivers cut in four places after WWII ended per contract with the US Govt.   I don't know where he got this idea, but I have seen a couple Winchester M1's and it did not look like they were re-welds.  Is there any truth to his statement?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard that before.

The CMP sells Winchester M1 Garands (when in stock).

Av.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Does your friend also claim to be a navy SEAL? (j/k)

My Winchester Garand is either A) Not a reweld, or B) The finest reweld ever. All the machine marks line up perfectly everywhere inside and outside of the receiver. Sounds like an urban legend to me.

BTW, my serial number places date of manufacture as June 1944. How cool is that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does your friend also claim to be a navy SEAL? (j/k)

My Winchester Garand is either A) Not a reweld, or B) The finest reweld ever. All the machine marks line up perfectly everywhere inside and outside of the receiver. Sounds like an urban legend to me.

BTW, my serial number places date of manufacture as June 1944. How cool is that?

But my Springfield is an Oct. '43 gun. It was there and your's is a Johnny-come-lately.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bill I've never heard that story either. I've read up on the M1 quite a bit after getting mine and while I certainly don't know everything, I think it's safe to assume it's a totally false claim.

You can ask ejclancy at Battlerifles.com for a much more accurate statement. He might have heard this claim before and knows where it comes from even. He has a large collection of M1 records straight from US govt sources. He's very well versed in the M1.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
When he told me this "all Winchster M1's were cut up" story I had a hard time not raising the B.S. flag right away, but thought I'd run it past you guys anyway.

I have a 1944 Springfield Armory MI that I got from DCM in 1994,  and a Greek Lease/Lend Return M1 (1955 H&R Arms) that I got this past July.

Someday it might be nice to get a Winchester M1, but they are getting hard to find it seems.  

The Garand is a great rifle.   Thanks for the urban legend de-bunk.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You're friend is a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My two Winchester Garands said to tell your friend he be a dork...!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys must know him!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My two Winchester Garands said to tell your friend he be a dork...!

My one Winchester just called Noname's two and concurred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top