Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2002 5:28:45 PM EDT
A guy at work offered to sell me his M1 for $500.  He said the receiver has not been cut and rewelded.  Is this common?  He said it has hardly been shot and the only thing done to it is the barrel has been reblued.  I've seen them at the gun show for $1000 plus.  Anything in particular to look for before I buy?  I don't have many more specifics other than above, but will get some more info and add it later.

Update:

I looked the gun over tonight.  It is really nice looking.  Springfield Armory serial #1051440.  Only modifications are a reblued barrel and a new jeweled gas cylinder.  He also has the original gas cylinder to go along with it.  Stock is in great shape.  Only a couple of pits in the buttstock area.  Deal or not?

For some bigger pics, try here:home.attbi.com/~d.lawes/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Need some details.  Where did he get it?  Is it a new garand (not likely, but some companies are making them), a garand from the Civilian Marksamnship Program, does he know?  The price is reasonable if its a US GI garand in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think so! You can get one from ODCMP for $375-$500, and it's not a reweld.

$1000 for a Garand has to be for either something in outstanding condition, or of rare manufacture. Typically, around here, they go for about $625-700 for a rifle in very good condition.

The ones for ODCMP range in condition, but they all work, and the ones I've gotten have been in very good shape. Check out www.odcmp.org
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from it if it is a reweld.You say he said it isn't but look at the reciever good.What happened there use to be companys that would reweld demilled M1's and resale them.If not done correctly its a dangerous situation and also can can have a badly misbehaveing rifle.There are to many good Garands out there to get a reweld.$500 is a good price.What make is the reciever? That can play into the value of the market on M1's.Ask him if its a CMP rifle and can you have the papers on it.On a CMP rifle they give you papers saying its a Orinal USGI garand.That helps in the resale out in the Market.But even if it don't have the papers $500 is a good price.If you need M1 info go to CSP M1 forum.Dedicated to M1's and there are alot of M1 gunsmiths and collectors there. Cheers War Dawg
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to get the details from him tomorrow and hopefully some pics, then you guys might be able to give me a better idea about the deal I'm getting into.  I've worked with this guy for two years now and consider him a good friend, I don't think he would try and screw me over.  He wasn't planning on selling it at all until I said I was interested in buying one.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've worked with this guy for two years now and consider him a good friend, I don't think he would try and screw me over.  

Maybe not on purpose but you're no less screwed even if done by accident. If the rifle blows up you may even be dead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#6]
 The point he made of making a point that it isn't a reweld sorta bugs me tummy a bit...might stay away were I you.   ( did that make any sense at all?????)

desertmoon...gun psychic
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#7]
go to www.fultonarmory.com to the M1 Garand pages.  The FAQ has an excellent article on spotting welded M1 recievers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
There are plenty of guys here who can answer your M1 questions and help you make an informed decision.

First get the serial #. Look at the reciever and get the drawing number and heat lot. (you'll have to field strip it). That can tell us if it is a reweld.

Check the barrel and read the markings by pulling back the op rod. Copy those down also. We want to make sure this is a USGI barrel and not a sleeved 1903 or aftermarket.

You can also write down any numbers you see on the trigger housing, op rod, stock etc.

Get that info and we can help you figure out what you are looking at.

$500 is not a bad price for a M1.

Service Grade Springfield Armory M1s are $500 from the CMP.

HRA and WRA variety are more and are unavailable.

Only the rack grade and danish grade are a little less than $500.

If this is USGI and in good shape as far as barrel wear, then $500 is a good,fair price for this gun.

Does he have any CMP paperwork for the rifle?

If this is a CAI reciever, I'd stay far away.

You want to see Springfield Armory, H&R, Winchester, or International Harvester on it.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I will repeat what the obove poster stated. ( If its a CIA reciever ,STAY AWAY ) .For $500 you want a USGI reciever.Its made out of FORGED steel.The CIA is Cast,and the norm is it isn't cast correctly.Get back to us on what ya find out.Garands are great rifles and a piece of history.War Dawg
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok heres what you have. A 1942 Springfield Armory. Have you looked at the barrel to see who made it? Pull the Op rod back and look through the cut in the top handguard on the right side of the rifle. There where the manufactor will be if its a USGI barrel. Wilson makes so good aftermarket barrels and they always come in Blued.Could be one of those.They are good barrel if thats what it is.The Gas cyliders I believe are made of stainless.Thats why they are painted rather than parked.If it is a Danish rifle it is sitll worth the $500 if in good shape .As it seems to be.What is a Danish you ask Ha ha ...? It was a rifle that we ( USA ) loaned to Denmark after the big war WWII. They had them for a long time and finally turned them back over to us I believe in the 90's.It was a rifle that is made over here and praboly was used in WWII by our guys and when the war was over we loaned them to them.I have 2 Danishes.Best of luck on your rifle. War Dawg.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple things...

I wouldn't buy this as a collector; were I to buy it, I'd buy it as a shooter. The stock and gas cylinder make it pretty obvious it's no collector's piece.

Check on the bottom of the barrel, from the bayonet lug on back to the reciever, where the cut in the handguard is. See if that's stamped with anything (like, BLUE SKY). This means it was re-imported, and loses a bunch of value as a collector's piece right there, too. Check for other markings on the barrel as well (VAR barrel? etc)...

For a shooter-grade, other than checking the other parts to make sure they're mil-spec/mil-surplus/military, it's good to go...but, a bit overpriced. You can get good shooter-grade Garands from the CMP for that price, and unlike that one, it's value will go up with the pedigree of the CMP papers to prove it. (This dosen't so much apply to the Danish re-imports, but CMP papers are CMP papers, and they'll still get a sliver more than a non-CMP gun.)

I'll admit, it's definitily unique-looking, but is it really worth $500 to have what, in my opinion (just that, opinion, as a collector :) ), is a Goofy Garand :)

As far as re-bluing goes...yes, the barrels were parked, on military barrels. This includes the Danish and Baretta barrels...(as far as I know). It almost looks like (from the barrel, etc) like a one-off customized piece that someone decided they wanted to dress up, like those silly gold-inlayed AR15's and other things the Franklin Mint or whatever distributes...

None of this is probably any help :)

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I would give him $300.00.  Actually, I would go with a CMP Garand for $500.00.  Certified to operate.  Mine was built in May 1945.  I got lucky.   Mine arrived in perfect condition.  I replaced the stock and it looks like new.  Park on all parts is a uniform light grey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top