Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 5:13:26 AM EDT by jestertoo]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:16:09 AM EDT
I wonder if that was one of those Century Garands???
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:16:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:20:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 5:26:16 AM EDT by abpt1]
Misfire = Check your chamber.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:21:34 AM EDT
It looks like she had a squib. She pulled the trigger and nothing happened, ejected the case and and fired a round with a bullet stuck in the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:39:12 AM EDT
Damn, that looks like it hurt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:53 AM EDT
dayum
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:03:15 AM EDT
I have a lot of guns, but the Garand is the LAST one I'd want to KB on me. I think I'd cry manly tears.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:09:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 7:10:12 AM EDT by hellbound]
Originally Posted By akethan:
It looks like she had a squib. She pulled the trigger and nothing happened, ejected the case and and fired a round with a bullet stuck in the barrel.

her comments on youtube said that the 7th round "jammed" and she believes it fired out of battery...

on a side note, I hate when people shoot leaning back...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:57:41 AM EDT

scary stuff...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:07:19 AM EDT
ouch!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:42:36 AM EDT
Stupid hurts. No recoil combined with no bullet in the case = squib
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:46:51 AM EDT
Squib for sure.

Not everyone understands that squib's are a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:07 AM EDT
Squib for sure.

Watched a guy do the same thing to a nice M1 during a High Power Match. He pulled the trigger no bang little bit of smoke from chamber racks out a smoking empty case and chambers a fresh one pulls trigger and kablamo....All this while me and his scorer were yelling at him to stop......

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:57:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By akethan:

i was just thinking the same thing...stuck bullet, same thing happened to my brother- in-law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:49:21 PM EDT
ouch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:55:24 PM EDT
She's lucky she didn't get mangled - Wow I agree w/the above...a squib load. I've had it happen 1 time in all my years of shooting, blazer 9mm ammo in my old Beretta 92FS
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:05:25 PM EDT
That will cause a flinch!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:40:39 PM EDT
I agree, looks like a squib. I almost had that happen to me. Luckily the bullet was caught in the throat and prevented another round from chambering. They were my reloads and one slipped by without powder. Shit happens, I got lucky.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:45:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
I agree, looks like a squib. I almost had that happen to me. Luckily the bullet was caught in the throat and prevented another round from chambering. They were my reloads and one slipped by without powder. Shit happens, I got lucky.

Hey Brah!!

Why Did You Steal My Favorite Bands Name!!!

Lol J/K I love that Band...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:53:57 PM EDT
Damn.... 30.06 is the last thing I want blowing up next to my face...

Enough with calling the poor chick stupid. Not everyone is a Mall Ninja you know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:28:02 PM EDT
I had a squib in my AR15 while shooting some Talon brand tracers. Click, no bang, and I ejected the cartridge minus the bullet. Fortunately I had the sense to check the bore and sure enough the bullet was lodged just forward of the chamber. Things could have turned ugly if I didn't check the bore.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:46:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By madmedic:
I wonder if that was one of those Century Garands???

Probaly a rare M1D built by the Army Marksmanship Unit.

Talk about lose value.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:30:30 PM EDT
Educate me. My first thought was squib too, but if you watch the video, the recoil looks the same, it sounds the same, and you can see the gas exit.

I'm thinking out of battery.

I've never had a squib so I can't really speak to them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:13 PM EDT
Did she get hurt?
I hope she didn't have to pick wood and metal out of her face.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:35 PM EDT
Sh*t! That will make me cry like a little girl.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:09:56 PM EDT
That dud 6th round is a little too coincidental in my mind, to be the 7th round as an out-of-battery discharge. Unless of course, it was the 6th round squib that she didn't catch that caused the failure to return to battery(bullet lodged in the throat), and thus, combined with compromised safety features on the rifle, created the out-of-battery discharge. Either way, I hope she wasn't hurt badly.
RIP Garand RIP(ieces).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 8:54:38 PM EDT by SteelonSteel]
If I was to guess it was a squib AND an out of battery firing.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It could quite easily have been an uncharged cartridged that launched the bullet into the throat with a primer only. She thinks she got a stoppage of some sort and cycles a fresh round in, probably driving the first bullet into the lands deeper and the new bullet deeper into the cartridge case. Also that could have created a condition where the bolt did not close all the way. The op rod handle did go forward and she did pull the trigger. An M1 reciever bridge should catch the firing pin tail if the bolt isn't locked but that's no a certain thing especially on aftermarket receivers.

ETA- Maybe not a squib, I saw no sign of a popped primer. I just rewatched it a few times. 6 shots fired seemingly ok, last was a little louder. Attempts to fire #7, doesn't get a report or a kick. Not even a little pop and no masking sound from the shooter in the foreground. Then she hand cycles and removes something, I think it was piece of brass #7 but could have been an en bloc clip. She rides the bolt mostly forward and attempts to fire cartridge number 8 I believe and gets the instant junk parts kit.

upon further review I'm guessing she rode the bolt home and the bolt was out of battery. That's not supposed to happen if the firing pin tail is in spec and the receiver bridge is in spec. Should drop the hammer and bang the firing pin tab on the bridge and not go forward with force to fire. Should anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:02:22 PM EDT
did that with an old springfield... barrel was so corroded I did not realize it was building up copper everytime I fired. Wound up increasing pressures until the barrel and receiver split. My fault for not swapping out the barrel
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:19:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
If I was to guess it was a squib AND an out of battery firing.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It could quite easily have been an uncharged cartridged that launched the bullet into the throat with a primer only. She thinks she got a stoppage of some sort and cycles a fresh round in, probably driving the first bullet into the lands deeper and the new bullet deeper into the cartridge case. Also that could have created a condition where the bolt did not close all the way. The op rod handle did go forward and she did pull the trigger. An M1 reciever bridge should catch the firing pin tail if the bolt isn't locked but that's no a certain thing especially on aftermarket receivers.

ETA- Maybe not a squib, I saw no sign of a popped primer. I just rewatched it a few times. 6 shots fired seemingly ok, last was a little louder. Attempts to fire #7, doesn't get a report or a kick. Not even a little pop and no masking sound from the shooter in the foreground. Then she hand cycles and removes something, I think it was piece of brass #7 but could have been an en bloc clip. She rides the bolt mostly forward and attempts to fire cartridge number 8 I believe and gets the instant junk parts kit.

upon further review I'm guessing she rode the bolt home and the bolt was out of battery. That's not supposed to happen if the firing pin tail is in spec and the receiver bridge is in spec. Should drop the hammer and bang the firing pin tab on the bridge and not go forward with force to fire. Should anyway.

If the bolt isn't in battery a Garand will not fire with a pull of the trigger. Not only do you have the safety bridge blocking the firing pin but also the safety nose on hammer will hit the flat back of the bolt keeping the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

These people had a squib.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wtwining:
Did she get hurt?
I hope she didn't have to pick wood and metal out of her face.

from the comments:

I was very lucky with the outcome. I have lots of splinters and bruising, but nothing broken. My left hand took the brunt of the blow to my wrist and palm of my hand. Still pretty painful, but I will be fine. Thanks for the concern.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 12:28:41 AM EDT by john575]
WOW
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 12:40:35 PM EDT by NVGdude]
Originally Posted By theteacher95:
Educate me. My first thought was squib too, but if you watch the video, the recoil looks the same, it sounds the same, and you can see the gas exit.

I'm thinking out of battery.

I've never had a squib so I can't really speak to them.

Squib/ stuck bullet.

She pulls the trigger and nothing happens. They she manually ejects the case, without inspecting it she feeds a new one, pulls the trigger and BOOM.
An M1 won't fire out of battery unless something is broken.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:43:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Originally Posted By jrinfoley:
I had a squib in my AR15 while shooting some Talon brand tracers. Click, no bang, and I ejected the cartridge minus the bullet. Fortunately I had the sense to check the bore and sure enough the bullet was lodged just forward of the chamber. Things could have turned ugly if I didn't check the bore.

If you knew what I know about Talon, you would NEVER shoot a loaded round they assembled.

When I worked at Barrett, they bought a bunch of .50 loaded by Talon. We fired a few rounds a the range then returned every bit of it. I believe it was close to 3000 rounds. Over loaded, underloaded. You never knew from one trigger pull to the next what you were going to experience.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:52:32 PM EDT
Most likely bad, possibly really old ammo. But wonder if they loaded the rounds? Could be someone forgot to drop the powder charge. I've done it myself, first time I reloaded I made the mistake of talking to my buddy while loading about 30 rounds of .45. Took the ammo out to the range, my friend was shooting my 1911 and I saw and heard it have a squib fire. He proceeded to rack the slide due to the fact that the round did not eject due to no powder in it. I was lucky I noticed, because he was about to fire it and I stopped him. Bullet was 1/2 up the barrel, knocked right out with a dowel and hammer though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:04:24 AM EDT
Sure looked like a squib to me.
Top Top