Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 9:21:09 AM EDT
My M1 Carbine is having extraction issues. If it extracts at all I often get a stovepipe so I am going to replace not only my Ejector spring, but my Extractor spring as well.

My question is could it be my actual extractor as well?

I would like to see some pictures of how an extractor should look from the front of the bolt to see if mine is worn down too much or if something is broken since I am fairly new to the world or M1 Carbine parts.

If I can get my DigiCam to work ill post a pic of mine so you can see what it looks like

Thanks

Im concerned about the worn area on the left side of the extractor.

ETA: Im also replacing my Op-rod/Recoil spring as well
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Change the entire set of extractor, spring and plunger, and the ejector and spring.
New parts are cheap, replace them all.

2. CLEAN the bolt, especially the ejector hole.  Re-lube.

3. Use a chamber brush to scrub the chamber.  Inspect the chamber for rings, pits, or roughness.

4. Make sure the rifle's gas system is OK.  A fouled gas system can cause failures to eject.  The piston should be free to move in and out about 3/8 of an inch.

NEVER lube the gas system or allow any solvent to enter it.  The system MUST be run bone dry.  Any lube or liquid in the system will instantly carbonize into a sticky, tar-like substance that will cause problems.

Disassemble the gas system only if you have NO other choice.  When you do, use the correct wrench, and buy a NEW USGI piston and nut to replace the old ones.
When reassembling it, make sure not to cross thread the nut or damage the threads in the gas cylinder.

5.  Check to make sure someone hasn't installed an "extra power" recoil spring.

6. Try a different brand/type of ammo.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks as if your extractor has a big chip out of it.  Check out Fig. 2 on this page to see how it should look.  I bet what's left of the extractor just isn't getting a good enough grip on the cartridge to let the ejector do its job.  I'd bet two bucks just replacing the extractor will solve your problem.

BTW you don't need the tool to disassemble the bolt it just makes it a lot easier.  Make sure you work in a paper bag to keep the parts from escaping and wear glasses.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What make of Carbine is it? From the looks of the bolt face the metal looks soft, (if it really looks that bad). If you have a military issue I would just replace the springs first. I had the same issue on my miliary issue but then realized it wasn't the extractor but the recoil spring. I finally replaced all springs to be safe (from wolf springs) and all was fixed and it functioned like new.

However if you have a Universal I would replace the whole bolt if you can find one.

Its an Iver Johnson but its compatible with GI parts. I figure Ill replace all the springs anyway and the extractor while the bolt is apart or if i can find a good deal on a bolt Ill just do that

Quoted:
Looks as if your extractor has a big chip out of it.  Check out Fig. 2 on this page to see how it should look.  I bet what's left of the extractor just isn't getting a good enough grip on the cartridge to let the ejector do its job.  I'd bet two bucks just replacing the extractor will solve your problem.

BTW you don't need the tool to disassemble the bolt it just makes it a lot easier.  Make sure you work in a paper bag to keep the parts from escaping and wear glasses.  

I used a third hand and took it apart. I thought the extractor looked like it was missing a pawl
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What make of Carbine is it? From the looks of the bolt face the metal looks soft, (if it really looks that bad). If you have a military issue I would just replace the springs first. I had the same issue on my miliary issue but then realized it wasn't the extractor but the recoil spring. I finally replaced all springs to be safe (from wolf springs) and all was fixed and it functioned like new.

However if you have a Universal I would replace the whole bolt if you can find one.

Its an Iver Johnson but its compatible with GI parts. I figure Ill replace all the springs anyway and the extractor while the bolt is apart or if i can find a good deal on a bolt Ill just do that

Quoted:

I used a third hand and took it apart. I thought the extractor looked like it was missing a pawl

The spring kit is $18 from Brownells.  You are welcome to replace the springs but I don't think you will see any difference between old springs and new.  Springs wear out from use, not just sitting, if properly designed.

Here is a link to an extractor from Numrich for $15.  There are other suppliers, I'm sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top