Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 10:37:44 AM EDT
Hi Guys, I stopped by a gun shop close to home this afternoon. Looked at a Winchester M1 Carbine and an SKS. The Carbine was complete with sling and oiler but had a 5 round mag which doesn't  sound orginal to me. The finish was ok, the bore was bright and no pits. The stock and upper hand guard looked ok but kind of dark. They wanted 599 for it. Also looked at an SKS. It had paper work from Interordinance, folding bayonet and granade sights etc....

I asked them how much if I bought both so they cameup with 525 for the carbine and 170 for the sks. $695 for both plus tax came to $736 and change. I offerred 700 they wouldn't budge. So I left to think it over. What do you think? Is it a good price? I really want an original carbine but I'm willing to shop around. I value these guns as shooters. Your opinion please... Thanks BobK

PS they also had a 30/40 Krag with a 1902 cartouche in  beautiful condition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a Krag here, their asking $975 I think.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The price on the carbine is OK ($525) if it's in good shape.  The sks is no steal, check out aimsurplus.com they used to have better prices than that one.  Though I haven't looked in a while.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
170 isn’t TO bad if your not a C&R holder, figure 120 for good, 20 for shipping 20-30 for transfer. Bonus of buying local is that if there is a problem you can HOPEFULLY trade it for another, and you also get to pick them out from a pile for the best. I had purchased a Chinese for 170, but its gas-piston was screwed up and it wasn’t feeding right. I went back and asked them to help me fix it (piston could not be removed). We looked at it for about 15mins, then they said I could just have another. They really didn’t let me pick one out that time, but gave me a great condition "Chinese Paratrooper" that was marked at 230.  The guy said I shouldn't have much problem, it had a 30rd mag (correct the feed problem) and a bright new bore. Haven’t fired it yet (tomorrow I will though) but it is VERY nice.

I try to support locals as best I can, but sometimes I just can't, like when their asking 300 for a K-31.. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have someone really check that carbine closely before I paid that much. The SKS price will drop soon too, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would SKS prices drop? If history would teach us anything they will go up. Remember the days of $85 Russian SKSs? Now they run for around $350. Yugo's were once everywhere around here, they have all dried up recently. Also Chinnese were once very common, and they too are slowing drying up as it looks. Also if you read Shotgun news Yugo prices keep going up, Good Condition was once under 100, now its around 125, and I havent seen an add for Chinese is a LONG LONG LONG LONG TIME.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Who made the Carbine? Is it GI? There are a few carbines to stay away from like Century & IAI to name a few.

I would buy one or the other. I could find alot of better ways to spend $736 instead of on those 2.  I'd buy another FAL from www.ohiorapidfire.com or another UZI from www.vectorarms.com/

Aim Surplus has some Very Good condition SKS rifles for $109+shipping+transfer

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_SKS_Yugo__Yugoslavian_M59_66_SKS_7_62x39_Rifle.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
bought my yogo sks about a year ago.it was in beautiful shape,packed in cosmoline and i paid  $120. where are they asking $350, thats insane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I think prices will drop some because of the so-called AW Ban going away & the streets not washing with blood will allow (gasp!) talk about junking the import ban. I also think China will put pressure on to rescind the import ban too.

Time will tell but since I paid $60 for a NIB Chinese SKS "Paratrooper" model, I'd pass on the $170 for it. My .o2
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Alot of good advice here.

If the Carbine is really an original and in good shape then $525 is a very good price for the M1.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think prices will drop some because of the so-called AW Ban going away & the streets not washing with blood will allow (gasp!) talk about junking the import ban. I also think China will put pressure on to rescind the import ban too.

Time will tell but since I paid $60 for a NIB Chinese SKS "Paratrooper" model, I'd pass on the $170 for it. My .o2

SKS was never affected by the AWB, seeing it’s not an Assault Weapon. The importation ban will not go away. Also I don’t think it has any affect on SKSs either once again they are no Assault Rifles and they are considered C&R, even when not 50 years old.  The Domestic gun industry will be really pissed off if the Importation Ban ends because it will provide consumers with options; I think the AR would drop steeply in popularly, (Sig? G36? Famas? LA85? AK?... list goes on). Also thousands of companies now exist purely in producing domestic receivers, compliant parts and importation and legalization of firearms.. You will be in effect exporting thousands of jobs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Carbine is a good price. They were selling cosmolined Yugo SKS's at our gun show for $125.
(It might be worth $45 just to not have to clean off the grease)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top