Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 5:18:50 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of M1 carbines?  Most of the ones I have shot group like shotguns shooting buckshot.  Is this the norm?

Todd
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Offhand at 100 yards, with a Blue Sky re-import M1 Carbine, it's a cinch to put it all in the black on a standard 6" center target.

What kind of accuracy are you expecting/looking for?

They're not really "match" rifles. But, they're pretty much as accurate as any off-the-rack Garand. Well, close to it, anyway. The sights are cruder, it's not as adjustable...had it the same adjustable sights, you could probably pull off some incredible accuracy up to 200 yards.

It depends on the carbine (Blue Sky re-imports are pretty much shot out, big-time..I lucked out on that one), and how "new" it is, parts-wise. I have a refurbed Carbine that hasen't been touched since it was arsenal-refinished sometime after WWII. It shoots a *lot* better than that Blue Sky carbine.

Are they good enough to put 3 rounds through the same hole at 500 yards? No. Will they take down anything you're aiming at at 200 yards, from man to deer, with a killing shot? Yes. So long as they ain't wearin too much clothing
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad has Inland 1943 and it constantly groups about 4 to 6 MoA. Not that great, but reliable and combat accurate enough.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Best I've seen one shoot (from the bench) is a 2.5" group, but that was handloads on a new barrel.

Mostly it's 4", which for it's intended use (CQB basically), that's fine and dandy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Plainfield Machine repro that runs great, but I've never put her on paper.

HOWEVER, I can knock over bowling pins at 100 yards with it fairly consistantly.  

I agree with the sentiments about accuracy... the M1 Carbine was never meant to be hella accurate.  It was made to be 'more than a pistol, but less than a rifle'.  It's easier to be combat accurate with than a pistol, and thus was a lot easier for behind-the-lines support personnel to become proficient with.  I think for it's time, it was a great, and very handy weapon.  However, I think it would have been liked more if it were a pinch more powerful... like maybe shooting a larger 9mm bullet to similar velocities.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I load my own for a 1944 Inland, is very accurate.  Rarely shoot it beyond 100yds.

rk
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top