Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2002 1:31:41 PM EDT
What is the difference between the M1 carbine with a 15 rnd mag vs the M1a with the 20 rnd mag. is the M1 Carbine a Garand with a magazine instead of a 8 rnd clip or what?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The M1 Carbine is a .30 caliber support rifle. It is esentially a scaled down M1 Garand that has been chambered for the .30 Caliber Carbine round. The operating principal is the same for the M1 Carbine, M1 garand and the M14/M1A. The M1 Carbine was created to supplement the .45 caliber M1911 pistol in WWII. It was created to give tank commanders and artillery persons more firepower and greater range than their M1911's without having to have a full size, full length weapon such as the M1 Garand. Hope this helps, any further questions, E-mail me or just post here.

Wipeout

Edited to add: looks like Aimless beat me to it, lol
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
here's a comparison...
top rifle is a Garand
middle rifle is a M1A and the bottom rifle is a M1Carbine

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is the difference between the M1 carbine with a 15 rnd mag vs the M1a with the 20 rnd mag. is the M1 Carbine a Garand with a magazine instead of a 8 rnd clip or what?

I don't know why they even use the name M1 carbine,we are not talking about a smaller M1 at all.

The M1 carbine was made for officers that did not want to lug around a full sized M1 Garand,it's really just a big pistol.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks wave, when i saw this thread i just grabbed one of each out of the safe to take the pic...
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
M1 Abrahms
M1 Thompson
M1 Trash Can
M1 whatever... just the Model 1 of something ...

The:
M1 Carbine is actually the "US Carbine M1".
Went full auto as the "US Carbine M2".
Went Sniper at night as the US "Carbine M3".
Went 5.56 as the "US Carbine M4" (the M16 variant)

The M1 Garand is actually "US Rifle M1"
the M14 is the "US Rifle M14"
the M16 is the "US Rilfe M16"

the "M1A" is the civilian "copyrighted moniker by Springfield Armory" Semi-Auto (unless converted)equivalent of the M14 notice how the Capital "A" looks kinda like a "4" ? Esthetics... just esthetics.. it could have been named something different.

the M1D is the sniper version of the US Rilfe M1 (Garand)

Ted...

... hmmmm... very interesting
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Phonegunner has it all correct. There is also the US Rifle, M-1C which was the sniper rifle that preceded the M-1D (the "C" had the scope mount bolted into the side of the receiver with bolts and pins, the "D" had a mount base pressed onto the rear of the barrel.Much more easy/faster/cheaper). The DCM had M-1 Carbines for sale in '63 for $20 each (one to a customer). I filled out the papers, sent them in, and went off to Basic Training. Forms came back that said to send in your $20 within 30 days or canceled. My mother thought it was an ad and trashed the papers. I saved $20 and lost a Carbine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top