Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:30:48 PM EDT
ok , I am thinking on getting an M1A ... I had a garand and hated it so pickey about grease and ammo etc... how is the recoil on a M1A compaired to a garand and how are they to maintain etc 1400 is a big investment
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If a Garand was too much for you to put up with, it's just more of the same with the M1A.  A huge to do list that includes keeping it lubed and running NATO spec (or near it) ammo through it.

Seriously, it's no worse than any other  semi auto weapon. I don't know the particular gripes you had with the M1 but they're not exactly known as high maintenance or finicky either. All depends on your point of view I guess.

As far as recoil, they're pretty near the same. The Garand, to me, has a little more of a "push" feel to it compared to more of a faster "shove" with the M1A. Most attribute this to the difference in the gas systems between the two designs. If you can handle one you can handle the other though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
M1A haters just shouldn't.....nevermind
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
M1A = Garand with magazines and slightly different ammunition.  You'll want to find something else to spend your $1400 on.

Picky on grease and ammo? Er, not clear what you mean by that, you might wantt o explain to the rest of us.  You sure you didn't just have a bad rifle?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a garand and hated it

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
picky Garand?  WTFO

an M1A is not for you!

go get a 10/22
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a garand and hated it

Blasphemy!!! Repent!!!

Seriously, if you hated a Garand, you will hate an M1A.  (I didn't know that was possible)

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Sig40Fan is honest to God the first person I have ever heard of who has not liked a Garand after firing it.  

Sig, I honestly would like to hear what kind of issues you were having...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you hated the Garand you'll hate the M1A

[shaking head]"wonders how anyone  could hate a Garand"[/shaking head]

Damn, I was thinking the same thing

I can shoot my Garand all day long.
And to be honest there are some days I would rather shoot the Garand over shooting my M14SA
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Methinks that Sig40fan is possessed by evil spirits and in much need of an excersism.

Hating a Garand is much like hating apple pie, the girl next door, or *gasp*, ones own mother.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't like the Garand.
I love it!!!  But I don't own one... just my M1A...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
mine was pickey about ammo and liked to jam even after I replace the springs etc.  it was super fun to shoot and was a very very accurate rifle. Maybe I fell victem to old wives tales about only using grease instead of traditional lub. on it . The other issue is recoil .. I have had a twice rebuilt rotator cuff and the 30-06 was a bit on the painfull side because of where the Ulner Nerve is and how the rifle recoiled ....  I do miss my garand . I just wasted a fan of loading the En Bloc clips with ammo and all that . I didnt smile everytime the clip came out and I got the Pling . I guess I am just stupid ....Maybe I'll retry the M1 series with one of those snazzy shooting coats
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Sig40fan:

We were just razzin ya man. Don't take it personal.  

Military 30-06 (M2 Ball) is ballistically identical to military 308 (M80) The M1A is a little lighter on recoil than an M1 Garand, but not much. With a shoulder injury, I doubt that you would be able to appreciate the difference between the two in regard to recoil.

If you have the option, try shooting an F A L. Ergonomically they are a bit better than the M1A and with the adjustable gas system, recoil can be reduced significantly. Add a good muzzle brake and recoil becomes a non issue. In addition to these points, a good quality F A L can be had for a little over half the cost of an M1A and F A L mags are a lot less expensive.(4 to 5 F A L mags for the price of 1 M14 mag) If you go the F A L route, a DSA StG58A will generally provide the same level of accuracy as an out of the box standard M1A for about 2/3 the price.

ETA. I just noticed that you are in Alaska. I have no idea what the firearms market is like there nor the availability so, please take what I have stated with that in mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA. I just noticed that you are in Alaska. I have no idea what the firearms market is like there nor the availability so, please take what I have stated with that in mind.

When I was up there from '00 til '02, seems like the M1A was up for the title of unofficial state rifle or something. Damn near every shop had three or four in the rack. Didin't see much in the way of FALs it seems. Maybe the Alaskans remember the 1950s Fort Greely tests or something.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Is a M1A worth it...you need a e-bitch slap!    Seriously, if you want a rifle that will make you wonder why you ever messed with any other platform, then the M1A is for you.  If you like other rifles, dont buy it, cause youll let them collect dust after you get the M1A.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#17]
To the best of my knowledge I have fired a Garand on one occasion: An official CMP Garand shoot at my rod and gun club. I rented it and used the surplus CMP ammo and did pretty well with it (I think I won my relay).  Recoil was stout, but manageable. I wouldn't want to shoot the thing all day, though.

My standard M1A is lighter than a Garand, but the recoil is substantially less. Interestingly, my synthetic stocked Loaded M1A, which is heavier than the standard model kicks noticably more.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Worth it? It depends. If it is not worth it then there will not be a market for it.

Will I spend $1400 on it? No, I will not. Do not make it wrong, I like it (since I was issued one).  But I think Spring Field is too proud of their product and way over priced.  

May be this is the reason I see more & more AR15 in DCM in past serveral years.  We can build a very nice all purpose AR15 for much lower price.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Have a "Service Grade" Garrand purchased thru CMP, a SA M1A "Service Grade" which I paid $1100 for several years ago, and two AR's (1 Bushy and 1 Oly), also nothing special. I enjoy shooting them all. Accuracy-wise the M1A wins, hands down. I've never met anyone who didn'tike shooting the Garrand.

Would I buy a M1A again - yes, in a heartbeat. If I had the capital, I'd go LRB. Otherwise, SA is just fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
If anyone's interested, there are some really, really good deals on gunbroker right now.  I'm pretty close to scoring a pretty good deal going on a loaded model right now.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Try before you buy.

Quoted:
The other issue is recoil .. I have had a twice rebuilt rotator cuff and the 30-06 was a bit on the painfull side because of where the Ulner Nerve is and how the rifle recoiled ....  I do miss my garand .

If possible try an M1A that has a rubber butt pad and a muzzle brake. This should reduce felt recoil.

The first rifle I learned to shoot was the Garand - loved that rifle but I wanted more - I got an M1A and I'm building a second one.

Good luck ~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top