Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
I want to get one of these. Price isnt that much of an issue  however the M25 is very expensive. Is it worth it? What about a M21 over National Match M1A, is it woth the extra money? Any thoughs and or expeirences?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:44:06 PM EDT
The m21 is worth it if you ever want to scope it ( I assume you do!) as the stock has an adjustable cheek rest.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:36:47 PM EDT
I had a M21 and wanted to improve it's trigger and scope mount. So i took it to Springfield Armory and talked with Dale Rader head of custom shop and prototypes. After going over what I wanted done and pricing it he brought out a M25. I held it and pointed out several things on it that i wanted on my M21. Well after a few mintues of fondling ......... I bought the M25. Despite what people say on here unles you have one you just don't know. These things are awesome rifles. Sub 1/2 moa all day long. No scope mounts to loosen, no stock fit hassles, no need to bipod installation as it has comes with harris bipod on it. This rifle flat out shoots. Period. Can these other places make a better rifles cheaper??? i can't say i don't own them, I can only tell you what my M25 does. Are they pricey yes. But you don't read about M25 owners talking about replacing certain parts to get better function or repairing this or that. These rifles are literally hand built one at a time by 3 guys who do nothing but build M25's in a seperate room from the rest of the factory. They do not have the same reciever as any other M14 it's not shaped the same. Only you can decide if it's worth it. For me it was worth every single penny.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:58:00 PM EDT
What do you mean the reciever is not shaped the same?  How is the scope mount?

You may regret it, LRB is coming out with an M14 reciever with the scope mount build IN to the actual reciever!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:35:26 PM EDT
I just placed an order for 2  lrb rear lugged nm barrell,1913/m14 receivers . ones for me & ones for a friend. I cant wait,  lo told me they  will be ready sometime in april .
ps.I already have a regular lrb arms m14
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:22:56 PM EDT
Good friend of mine had an M25.  He and I both were NOT impressed!  VERY expensive and only MOA accuracy.  Red, sounds like you got a good one, because most people I have heard of having one report similar dismal results.  M1a's are tough to make accurate, and even as tough to keep them accurate.  But they sure are cool looking!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:32:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blain:
What do you mean the reciever is not shaped the same?  How is the scope mount?

You may regret it, LRB is coming out with an M14 reciever with the scope mount build IN to the actual reciever!!!!

The Springfield Armory, Inc. M25 does not have a scope mount lug on the left hand side.  The scope is attached from the top of the receiver.  www.springfield-armory.com
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:53:04 AM EDT
Not to be bitter or anything, but it just irritates the hell out of me the way that SA has bastardized the M21 and M25 - neither is anything like there true military form.  It is like calling a Rem 700 VSS an M24.....

And while I am whining - not worth the $ either.....

my .02$

1SGA
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:05:47 AM EDT
Are you going to shoot long range for fun, competition and bets?

I have an M1A std with a 10x scope. I use it with M118LR ammo and score hits on man-sized targets from 900 yrds in. They are not 1moa groups - they are body hits - which is just fine for me.

I am going to upgrade my trigger and get a gas shim set...that is all. For my needs it is fine.

I shoot at a montly long range comp - never win, but I have a great time

You might want to save some $$ and get a NM or Loaded...they'll do just fine

For an adjustable cheek pad - go to whamo camo or contact Rooster 33 - he makes a great set up!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:43:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Red1Alpha:
I had a M21 and wanted to improve it's trigger and scope mount. So i took it to Springfield Armory and talked with Dale Rader head of custom shop and prototypes. After going over what I wanted done and pricing it he brought out a M25. I held it and pointed out several things on it that i wanted on my M21. Well after a few mintues of fondling ......... I bought the M25. Despite what people say on here unles you have one you just don't know. These things are awesome rifles. Sub 1/2 moa all day long. No scope mounts to loosen, no stock fit hassles, no need to bipod installation as it has comes with harris bipod on it. This rifle flat out shoots. Period. Can these other places make a better rifles cheaper??? i can't say i don't own them, I can only tell you what my M25 does. Are they pricey yes. But you don't read about M25 owners talking about replacing certain parts to get better function or repairing this or that. These rifles are literally hand built one at a time by 3 guys who do nothing but build M25's in a seperate room from the rest of the factory. They do not have the same reciever as any other M14 it's not shaped the same. Only you can decide if it's worth it. For me it was worth every single penny.

I have one as well...   I also have a base model M1A,  Going from my M1A (which I like very much) to my M25 is kinda like going from a ford taurus to a bmw 5 series.    I really havent played with loads for it, but I pretty much just shot Fed. GM 168g out of it, easially does under 3/4~1/2" groups @ 100  On good days, I have done better then that.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:54:28 PM EDT
Why don't you buy an M1A, a McMillan stock, have it bedded and NM mods done, add a Barnett med. weight barrel, a Smith Enterprise mount, Badger med. rings, and a Leupold LRM3.  All of this is much better than stock SA if you get a good smith (I recommend George Gardner of GA Precision) and probably cheaper if you shop the parts.  Additionally, you will have an M25 milspec clone like this, not a figment of SA's imagination.  Besides that it will be YOUR rifle and it's fun finding the parts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:44:43 PM EDT
oh great, thanks a lot for posting that, now my bank account is gonna be completely empty
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:23:05 PM EDT
Ah, but that's the pain that makes you feel good (you know it too)  Just do like I did and talk the little lady down from the $500 dishwasher to the $260 and the $2500 fridge to the $999 one (or hell, a $400 one if you can pull it off) and you're there!

Originally Posted By yzl337:
oh great, thanks a lot for posting that, now my bank account is gonna be completely empty

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:18 PM EDT
Hi Rasander:

Generally, you will see some improvement in accuracy from a SA basic standard M1A to a SA Loaded to a SA NM and so on.  Their offered rifles feature (as you go up in selection) different parts, modifications, etc. to achieve a higher level of accuracy with price reflecting the differences.  If money is not an problem then you have a wide range of alternatives depending on your needs and expectations.  Springfield M1A's is only one company that is commerically producing M14 type rifles.  LRB, Fulton Armory, (and not sure but...) Armscorp also produce M14 "clones".  Different should "check" me on this, I might has missed someone.  Additionally, there are many skilled and more than qualified 'smiths out there that can build you a "tack driver" or a specialized M14 type rifle if you desire something "custom".

Weight of the rifle might also be a consideration.  A standard M1A is much lighter than SA's match rifles.  If mobility is an issue, SA offers, Bush, Scout and now, SOCOM rifles that are much shorter than standard length M1A's.

Your question on "is it worth the extra money" for these rifles as you go up in scale/price... well, it's subjective, but I think it is.  If you like M14 rifles, whether you buy upscale SA or have a custom piece built for you, I think you will be pleased.

Another option is maybe building your own if you are inclined.  As others demonstrated, building a "GREAT" gun is achieveable.

Wish you the best whichever way you decide to go.

Aloha,

Tom O.

Top Top