Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT
My cousin just got a SA loaded M1A and invited me to dust my SA9805 off and hit the range with him. We had fun and it's been a while since I shot a "man sized" round. So now I'm looking to do a couple of upgrades on my standard M1A and for me the first place to start is the heavy factory tripper. I saw SEI will do an upgrade for $125 if I send my trigger assembly to them. Are there any other options such as buying a SA National Match trigger assemble? I looked briefly and didn't see one available. I can deal with a good 4.5# pull but, I doubt I'll get close to the 2.25# JP on my competition AR I built.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
SEI converted the TRW trigger group in my MK14 and it's awesome.
I'm sending them a spare for the same conversion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My SA Standard trigger pull is probably around 4.5#. Same as my 1911's and my Bushy AR. I like them that way. They are all defensive firearms, and that's the main reason I purchased them. So I like the "reasonable" trigger pull. To each his or her own, so I'm not dogging you or questioning your motives... just wanted to throw-out there for someone who might care that some people get the itch to "upgrade" their weapons and the trigger is one of the first one thought of. But some of them don't stop and consider the intended purpose for that weapon and if self-defense is one of them I consider the 3-5# range to be preferable over the 2# area. I recently shot a revolver that had a pull so light I swear it went off before my finger was even inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Red_Label is correct -- you really don't want less than a 4.5 lb pull on your M14 type rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fine with 4.5 pound on the M1A. I wasn't looking for a sub 4 pound pull. I was just trying to differtiate  how "bad" a standard M1A pull is compared to what I've been shooting the last couple of years. The stock trigger on my M1A is actually quite good for a standard military arm. The take up is light and smooth and it breaks very cleanly. It's just a heavy overall pull.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You need think how the trigger is on your rifle and not someone elses.  Any other model besides the Standard, Socom's and Scout comes with a tuned trigger. That means the Loaded, NM, Supermatch, and M21 all have a tuned trigger which is tuned to the minimum lowest lb level a traditional M14 trigger can be tuned to without being unsafe and doing things like going full auto and the M25 has a Rader trigger. All Standard M1A's, Scout's and Socom's unless you bought a used rifle from someone that had it tuned come with a untuned heavier pull trigger which they say is somewhere between 5 and 6 lbs. Someone might not even know there pulling a tuned M14 if they bought the rifle used and didn't know better. If someone that bought a used M1A wants to know if it has a tuned trigger assembly, they can call Springfield and give them the serial number and they'll tell you exactly how that rifle left the factory if you can't tell by looking at it and see it's been polished and tuned. If you want to have it tuned, Springfield has an excellent custom shop that does all the M14 NM tuning you could want and do a very good job of it. They employ some of the very best armorer's with Dale Rader who designed the Rader trigger group the White Feather(M25) uses being one of them and running the custom shop. I had mine done a while back by them and my gas cylinder unitized and the work was fantastic. The trigger was much much smoother than the standard trigger and has no creep and is excellent at 4.5 lbs. All said and done, they charged me $35  for the trigger and $35 for the gas cylinder unification. That's good service and a good price. Another reason I'll be buying a new Scout next year and having them tune that one too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The local M14 plumber out here does an M1/M14 trigger job for $35.  There's a guy at my club that will do one for $20, but I doubt it will last as long as one done by a pro.  It looks like Smith is charging quite a bit for swapping out a pair of pins and a spring in addition to normal 15 minutes of labor it takes for a good trigger job.

FWIW, there is no such thing as a NM trigger group.  Your two options for a better trigger are to buy the spendy Rader trigger or modify a standard trigger.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It looks like Smith is charging quite a bit for swapping out a pair of pins and a spring in addition to normal 15 minutes of labor it takes for a good trigger job.

SEI is doing a bit more than "swapping out a pair of pins and a spring".

BTW, I had one of the $35.00 jobs done and the SEI version is much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top