Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 7:52:15 PM EDT
So anyone got a link for an outfit that does trigger jobs on M14/M1A's? Really interested in getting one done. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The NM trigger modification from Fulton Armory..I wonder what that entails?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a good trigger weight or gage and see what yours is right now.  I've got 5 similar trigger groups (2 M1, 2 M14, and 1 M1A) and they're all at minimum weight between 4-1/2 and 5 pounds.  And they're all box stock.

4-1/2 to 6 is the spec and you really don't want to go lower on a rifle of this type.  If you're way above 6 pounds a good teflon grease on the lugs will help.  Polishing the surfaces (not honing or otherwise cutting into them) will help.  The same polishing of the trigger and hammer pins as you did on your AR15 will also help.

I suspect you have a cast M1A trigger group.  Replacement of the internal parts with USGI M14 (most M1 parts will also fit since you don't need the AUTO lug on the disconnector) will usually result in a smoother pull.  Or shop for an M14 trigger group on line.  CMP is out when I last looked.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a Springfield M1A Standard that I purchased in 2000.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Pull the trigger group.

With the hammer uncocked the cast hammer has 5548008-2 SA embossed on the left side, a forged and machined hammer has the part number on the front (have to cock the hammer).

The cast trigger group housing is 7267030-I.

All the cast parts are usually a nice black color.  Since the magazine catch is a common surplus part it's probably more of a grey color.

What's your trigger pull now (in pounds)?  No way to tell?  Remember "a pint's a pound?"  

Get several pint plastic water bottles and hook 'em to a coat hanger.  Lift 3 bottles with a gentle lift of the rifle (muzzle up and hammer cocked!).  No click?  Add one bottle at a time until she clicks.  Count the bottles.  Should be 5 or 6 bottles.  If you get way more than 6 the trigger needs some work starting with smoothing the pins and teflon grease on the sear surfaces.  This test won't pass Camp Perry minimum trigger pull testing, but is good enough for now.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a rifle built by Smith Enterprise, and they do great trigger jobs.

www.smithenterprise.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest getting a Manual and doing it yourself or find someone locally like an experienced service rifle shooter to do it and save $ 50. A NM trigger job isn't all that difficult and anyway what Fulton/ SA does takes about 20 sec on a belt sander and a few seconds with some emory paper ....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top