Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:22:58 PM EDT
Hey,

I was just fondling my M1A and I realized the set screw for the rear sight was very loose, so loose in fact that when I turned the elevation knob the aperture didn't move. My question is this - do I bottom out the aperture and crank it back up 8-12 clicks to make a rough mechanical zero for 200 yards, as in the Garand, or is there a different setting? Should be the same as my M1, no?

I have an excuse to go to the range now and reset the dope on my rifle if nothing else Obviously I'm going to have to fine tune the rifle to figure out how many clicks it is exactly, but I need a starting point.

TIA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
start at 12, according to the army's FM 28-3
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is 13 clicks from the bottom (250 meter zero as per TM). This time when you zero the gun write down how many clicks from the bottom on a piece of tape and stick it under you fold up butt plate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
11 or 12 clicks from bottom is typically the 200 meter zero.  I have a kick ass standard model M1A with its own only flaw being the 200 meter zero is 15 clicks from bottom.  IOW, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like every rifle is a little different. I started with the 8-12 clicks at 100yrd like the book says and ended up with 3 clicks from bottom, 200yrds was 6 clicks from bottom using SA ball ammo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It should be about 8-10 clicks from the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top