Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2002 2:54:58 PM EDT
I'm new to M1A's/M14's.  I was told in another thread that I am not supposed to remove the action from a bedded stock, which mine is.  I would like to know what I can do to keep the gas system and bolt clean if I cannot remove these items for cleaning.  Are they supposed to be maintenance free?  Thanks for any help.

Edited to ask which cleaning tools are recommended for the M1A.  Should I invest in a bore guide?  Any sources for a moly coated one peice rod would be great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Compressed air is what I use on my Match M1

And I do break th weapon down occasionally......

ever 1000 rounds or so, course I was the one who said not to break it out of the bedding, my weapon is not bedded, anymore cause I did not know at the time

If you do not use corrosive ammo, you should be alright with your gas system....
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Lock back the bolt and go from there.  You can remove the gas plus if you want but its not necessary.  I haven't touched mine after 4000 rounds through it and it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger.  I also used the canned air (the computer cleaner) I had laying around to blow whatever is behind of the bolt out.  I would suggest buying a bore guide from russ haydons shooting supply or others that carry them for an M14 rifle so you can clean from the muzzle and not have to worry about the rod moving around which might damage the flash suppressor or at least scratch it up
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I was primarily concerned about the muzzle crown while cleaning from the muzzle.  That's what got me thinking about the bore guide.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
slt - invest in a nice Dewey, coated rod.  You will not hurt the crown on the muzzle using the Dewey.  Generally speaking, you do not want to remove your action from the bedding.  However, I would recommend that you do it once to give it a good cleaning and lubrication.  Most match shooters only remove it once per season after it has a good cleaning and lubrication.  I usually only remove mine after about 1,500 rounds.  For reference, I highly recommend the Scott Duff and Jerry Kuhnhausen books for reference.  They are invaluable for the M1A shooter.

Link Posted: 9/30/2002 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You certainly don't have to remove the action to disassemble the gas system.  Once per year is OK to break the whole thing apart.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]
SLT223...where do you shoot in Ct?   I'm outside of harrford and shoot at Bluetrails in Wallingford..
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
A 12 gauge shotgun shell with the primer out is the perfect cleaning rod guide. It fits perfectly over the flash suppressor and does everything that an overpriced commercal one would do. A bedded M-14/M-1A usually is taken out of the stock for detail cleaning after the season OR when caught in very heavy rain/fallen into the river. A machinist's Letter "P" size drill bit is the perfect fit for removing carbon build up in the gas piston and the plug. DO NOT use a drill bit with a flat tip, just the normal pointed tip. A flat end will grab and cut steel. All you want is to remove carbon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one of the Otis cleaning systems for my new Supermatch and its great. It allows you to clean from breech to muzzle like you are supposed to with a flexible rod. You can insert the rod in the same direction as bullet travel too. My .02
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to Zediker publishing's site and download the articles on M1A cleaning. Also, creedmore armory has bolt stop and gas cylinder wrench. Both are very handy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top