Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:13:22 PM EDT
I have a question.

I have a NM M1A and I would like to be able to mount a bipod but still use the factory sling attachment.   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Put it in the drain hole.  
If you're not planning on dragging the rifle through the rice paddies of 'Nam, it should pose no problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How abou a USGI M14/M1 bipod? But I understand that its cratches the stock, I don't know first hand.

Harris also makes some good bipods. I think they have a special arrangement where you can use the factory sling swivels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How abou a USGI M14/M1 bipod? But I understand that its cratches the stock, I don't know first hand.

Harris also makes some good bipods. I think they have a special arrangement where you can use the factory sling swivels.

The USGI bipod is heavy, noisy and does indeed scratch up the stock.  They also cost an arm and a leg ($100+) for a real USGI.  Chinese knock-offs are in the $30 range though.  It's a bit of an overkill for the gun really.  It was desinged for the M14A1 support weapon.  

The military does mount some Harris-type bipods on some M14s.  Using the drain hole as noted above, or by simply drilling another.  Either way, it's as difficult as adding a second sling swivel stud to the forend of the stock.  No biggie, and you still keep the original sling positon.  You can always take off the bipod if you don't need it, and all you have is the stud sitting there.  If you need a bipod, the Harris is about he easiest one to use that's worth a darn.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you everyone for your help.   Once I get the rifle done I will post a pic.

Thomas
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I mounted a harris on my NM M1A. Due to the fact the wood is a little thinner up on the forend of the stock, i mounted the stud just behind the factory sling swivel. I had to take a chisel and clean out some of the inside of the stock (I used an AR adapter) for the stud to screw into the adapter. I also used a small wood screw to hold the adapter in place in case i wanted to remove the stud, so that the adapter would stay in place and would easier facilitate putting the stud back in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
There is some good info here
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
tharter: Good luck on the installation. It is not too easy when the stock in the NM M1As is glassed-bedded(ie glued in) into the action. If you take it a apart, you risk getting small particles of the fiberglass into the bedding, thus ruiining its accuracy. It was recommended by many people not to seperate the stock and the action for cleaning for this very reason. Pick you poison carefully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top