Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 3:10:20 PM EDT
So I have no .30 cal other than my VEPR K in 7.62x39.

I have a huge hankering for a .308 for a better elk huntin' gun, and as a good all around battle rifle for knockin big holes in thinks.

I cant seem to decide whether or not I want an AR10 or M1A for my needs.   It will be scoped, and I will be squeezing the accuracy as best I can from them.

Anyone have some input/things to consider about whilst I ponder and dream?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It will be scoped, and I will be squeezing the accuracy as best I can from them.

^^^^Then, in my mind, you have already made up choice.^^^^

The BEST optics solution for the M1A comes up at least 100% short of the average solution for the AR10A4.

According to many who know, the M1A needs to be properly bedded in order to maintain the utmost accuracy...not so with the AR10.

FWIW....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an AR-10 & I love it. Minimal felt recoil, wonderful accuracy. Damn good accuracy, actually.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster M10 same as an AR10 but with a forward assist and it takes unmodded FAL mags.  Had a chance to run one lately and WOW!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm okay...

So now its a dreaded BAR10 / AR10 debate

I dunno about the price of them Bushymasters.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I would take the m1a any day of the week.  The ar may have an advantage in the weight department though.  If you are going to be carrying the gun up the hill, down the hill all day long hunting elk you may want to consider that also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
FAL.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
AR-10A4 - a cinch to scope and with a chrome lined barrel.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AR-10A4 - a cinch to scope and with a chrome lined barrel.

5sub

+1, you simply cannot beat the optics platform of the AR10.  If you're looking for a elk gun that'll double as a SHTF piece, then there's no debate - AR10.  If you want only an elk gun, I'd go for a bolt action.

M1A's are classic, proven, etc etc blah blah blah....but scoping one is like putting perfume on a pig - no matter what you do it still stinks.

FAL's are great too.  For irons.

Given the quality of Armalites AR10's, especially as of late, you can't go wrong at all.  The BAR10's are, in my opinion, top heavy, expensive, and the cost of those wonderfully cheap FAL mags doesn't outweigh the benefits of a lightweight-chromelined barrel and lifetime warranty.   Plus you can also free float the barrel, install a sweet trigger, and did I mention that excellent optics platform?

Plus, what are you going to do with 50 FAL mags?  Heck all you'll want to carry on you is at most 6 loaded mags.  If 120 rounds of 308 won't deter that herd of zombies triangulating on your position, 140+ won't either!

There...I made my peace with the great 308 rifle debate.

My new 308 rifle motto:

AR10 - anything else is ghey.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ergonomics favor the AR clones, although the M1A is tolerable with sufficient training. If you are a lefty, the M1A will seem made for you.

I would suggest you refine your criteria and prioritize same.  The answer will come to you.  Good luck.

Good point regarding left-handed shooters.  Research research research.  Shoot them all first.  I wouldn't feel undergunned with any of them.  I just have my preference, I'm sure you'll have yours.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would take the m1a any day of the week.  The ar may have an advantage in the weight department though.  If you are going to be carrying the gun up the hill, down the hill all day long hunting elk you may want to consider that also.

There's several more advantages as well, IMO. First of all, a flattop allows a much more stable scope mount. Add flip up sights, front & rear, & you're good to go 7/24. The scope mount on the M1A is lots less stable, IMO.

Pure accuracy is also a leg up too. All Armalite AR-10s have a NM barrel, AFAIK. I don't handload so I'm not gonna say this group or that group for accuracy. Everyone here knows ammo & shooters add elements to accuracy as well. But having all things being equal, percentage wise, I'd bet a milkshake an off the rack Armalite AR-10 will be more accurate than an off the rack M1A.

I haven't shot mine in a while & Coondog keeps promising to teach me how to shoot.       Maybe I'll get mine finally tuned in??????    
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have taken Elk at 300+ yards with a Norinco M1A, a Generation II mount and a Bushnell scope.

I do want a Bushmaster .308 too though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If the choice is between a S.A. Inc. M1A and an AR10. If you can find an AR10 that works, get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top