Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 1:03:18 PM EDT
Right now all I own are bolt guns, and I've always tried to wring every bit of accuracy out of them that I can. Now I'm looking to buy an M1A. I've been reading the forums on them and have asked the Poly vs SA question also. But I was also wondering what kind of accuracy difference is there between say a standard SA compared to a "loaded" model or even a "match" model. Is a guy better off to go to an older standard model with USGI parts, which, the way I'm reading it, will give better reliability with the better parts? Or will a newer model with a "match" bbl have better accuracy, and still have decent reliability with the newer commercial parts? Altho I don't intend on match shooting with one, I'll put a scope on it and see what it'll do.....and I'll want it to do well. Otherwise, it's probably going to be sold.  Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several other factors involved with trying to get accuracy out of the M1A/M14 platform. Just going to a match barrel will not more than likely do it. You also need to bed the action. There are several different ways to do it, but bedding it will really make a difference. Unitizing the gas cylinder is also a good accuracy enhancement. Getting a good clean crisp break on the trigger is also a good thing. Good tight, repeatable rear sight is a must also. Reaming out the flash hider is another tweak. There are some other slight tweaks to get better accuracy, but this is one reason why the AR has taken such a hold in highpower where the M1A/M14 used to shine. In order to get a really nice accurate M1A, you will have to spend some money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I get 2" at 100 yards with standard reloads. 168 grain Sierra HPBT tighens it up by 1/2" or so. That's about what I expected with no work an a NM barrel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Springfield loaded.  With nosler 168's I get 1 inch 10 shot groups at 100.  I have also gotten good groups with 155's.  It is really the luck of the draw, but you never really hear about a dog loaded or match.  A buddy of mine who can shoot just got a loaded like mine and his does about 1.5 inches at 100, but that is with port, if he shot the same load as mine, I bet he would get the same results.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out Fulto armory for match guns. I have an older one built buy an ex-amu armourer that will do under 1 inch at 100 yards with 168's . My plain 10 year old stock one will do under 2 at 100 yds. I have never heard anyone say they had one that was inaccurate. Buy the older used one with the slight preferance given to the GI parts.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top