Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 8:45:05 PM EDT
Never have owned one, mostly ARs, My Snap On tool dealer has one that he might be
selling, he can't remember when he bought it, it was in the early 70's, I have seen the
rifle, and its in decent shape, with normal wear you would expect for a 30 + year old
rifle, it is a Springfield, and the serial # is below 1500, and that surprised the heck out
of me, What should I offer him for it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
$150
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A 1500 serial number may be an original Devine, Texas made M1A. I can't remember the guy's name but he started S.A. Inc. in Devine, Texas and later sold out to the people who moved it to Illinois. Devine's, as they are called, are pretty desireable to M1A collectors. Get your hands on it, take a good look, IIRC, they are marked Devine, Texas on them somehwere. Make him a reasonable offer.

Edited to add;

The gentlemans name is Elmer Balance. He made less than 3000 M1A's from 1971 to 1974. He owned the LH gun company and used the name Springfield Armory. Look for markings on the barrel that indicate it was manufactured in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Never have owned one, mostly ARs, My Snap On tool dealer has one that he might be
selling, he can't remember when he bought it, it was in the early 70's, I have seen the
rifle, and its in decent shape, with normal wear you would expect for a 30 + year old
rifle, it is a Springfield, and the serial # is below 1500, and that surprised the heck out
of me, What should I offer him for it?

www.imageseek.com/m1a/
or
www.imageseek.com/m1a/book.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Devine many years ago. Sold it a few years ago for a nice profit.
If it's below 1500, it's most  likely a Devine. Snap it up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, if you don't buy it, gimme his contact info & I WILL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top