Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2006 12:37:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 12:41:20 PM EST by markmcjunkins]
I'm a firm believer that I should have a light on my long guns that are meant to protect me and mine. I've held off always looking for a good deal. Well I found one. I bought a light from G&R Tactical and I'm very happy. The shipping was very, very fast and I have what I believe to be a great product.

shipped with the mount, tape switch, light, batteries the whole deal.
Right now I have 300 rounds of .308 on the bulb. It still works.

www.gandrtactical.com/grlights.htm

mm
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:35:04 PM EST
How did you mount the picatinny rail to the side of your stock?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:55:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By number1copper:
How did you mount the picatinny rail to the side of your stock?

This is a section of rail removed from a PRI carbon fiber free float tube. USGI synthetic stocks are already "inletted" in the gas piston area inside the stock. Two holes, and a small shim between the front rail screw and the stock to align the light beam with the POA and centerline of the bore.

Paladin

shim size determined by:

(width at rear screw) - (width at front screw) = x

x/2 = shim thickness
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:21:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By markmcjunkins:
I'm a firm believer that I should have a light on my long guns that are meant to protect me and mine.

+1

Also, nice job modifying your stock. You made what I would consider to be the two most practical modifications to your rifle.

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:36:27 AM EST
I just put a rail on my SOCOM stock because you inpired me...I used 2500 pound epoxy...and can secure it with screws if I need to, but I think the epoxy will be enough...only range sessions will tell
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:02:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 8:03:28 AM EST by markmcjunkins]
Sorry for the slow response time on my end.
PALADIN hit it dead on.
I picked up the rail at a funshow. It's made to go on an AR with regular hand guards.

It came with three screws and the nuts here.

I dremeled out the stock to fit the nuts and mounted the rail. I also used some rubber "O" rings to help isolate shock. I'm not sure if it really helps. I blew out a cheaper light on this set up and found the deal from Grant.

I also loc-tited the screws down.I think I'm going to get another ring for the light. It might not need it but I'd feel better about it.

mark
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:50:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 7:39:07 AM EST by number1copper]
Well, after seeing how both of you used screws to attach the rail...I decided to do the same

I went to Home Depot and got some T-nuts and screws...I then had to grind the T-nuts down with a Dremel to get them to perfectly fit where I wanted them on the inside of the stock...The rail was already attached with 2500 pound epoxy, so I simply drilled the holes, and screwed the screws into the T-nuts with permanent red locktite..ground the screws flush with the Dremel...then shot a little black onto the screws to match and VOILA! ...the pics are before I ground the screws down

What do you think?

I modded it one more time with some black hex head screws I found...here's the final product!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:32:05 AM EST
I think you nailed it....errr srcewed it good

Have you mounted a light to it to see if it needs shimmed. The contour of the stock will put your light beam to the left of you POA.

looks good!!

mark
Top Top