Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2012 11:17:50 AM EDT
I need some advice on which direction to go, I was looking at a LWRC 5.56 because I built my wife a 5.56 platform and I can buy ammo in bulk and stay in the same caliber. 7.62 ammo is more than twice as much but I can hunt more and still target shoot. The LWRC is a more expensive gun than the Springfield scout squad though, but I am limited to about the same distance with both guns. I don't anticipate getting the opportunity to shoot out to the max range on either rifle.

Just looking for some reasoning and advice on which direction to go...
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:33:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Joho146:
I need some advice on which direction to go, I was looking at a LWRC 5.56 because I built my wife a 5.56 platform and I can buy ammo in bulk and stay in the same caliber. 7.62 ammo is more than twice as much but I can hunt more and still target shoot. The LWRC is a more expensive gun than the Springfield scout squad though, but I am limited to about the same distance with both guns. I don't anticipate getting the opportunity to shoot out to the max range on either rifle.

AR10

The M1a is a relic thats expensive to modify.
The LWRC is nice, but a piston is not needed.

IBTmag fags

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:42:04 AM EDT
Stick with the 5.56mm until you have the dedication to get into 7.62mm

Of the two 7.62mm rifles, I would pick the M1A Scout. Good shooting and durable rifle but has a bit of blast at the muzzle due to the short barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:04:06 PM EDT

yea I guess my hesitation is that if I were only target shooting I wouldn't hesitate to stick with the 5.56 but I hunt as well and I intend on going on a hog hunt this summer. I know both calibers

are fine for hogs but I deer hunt and would like to spend the money that would allow me to hunt just about any game in North America. It's between these two rifles I'm not really in the market

for another direct impingement 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:06:03 PM EDT

I do appreciate y'all for the feedback though

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2012 12:33:33 PM EDT by j_dock2]
If you want a logic-based decision, I'd get another AR-15 in 5.56 and then a spare upper (or barrel if you're handy) in another caliber for hunting, like 6.5G or 6.8 SPC.

That way you max out the commonalities between firearms in the household.

HOWEVER, I suspect that you want a Scout Squad because you WANT it, and that's a whole other deal.

If you like and want the Squad, get it. You can save up for other boomsticks later. :) I shoot a lot of 5.56 ARs these days but my M1A is absolutely a rifle I keep purely because it makes me happy.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:44:53 PM EDT
AR-10 is a good system but this is sweet!

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:08:53 PM EDT
LMT .308
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2012 6:30:12 PM EDT by bradpierson26]
Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
LMT .308

the correct answer
ETA: only though if you insist on .30 cal.

I'd probably argue for DI 556 though
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:05:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

AR10

IBTmag fags

AR-10's use the SR-25 pattern mags now so let them come.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:06:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By highstepper:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Army_M14_Sage_Stock.jpg

It looks sweet but an AR platform will do everything that can do and do it better/lighter/faster
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:45:01 AM EDT
I went with the Scout. You'll get almost the save velocity as you'll get with a full length M1A. For me, the Scout "feels" better. I wish I'd had such a thing 40 odd years ago, rather than the POS M16 (no, not an A1) that was issued.

Oh, and logic never really trumps emotion when purchasing a firearm. Admit it or not, you will end up getting what you "want".
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:53:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jeepnik:
I went with the Scout. You'll get almost the save velocity as you'll get with a full length M1A. For me, the Scout "feels" better. I wish I'd had such a thing 40 odd years ago, rather than the POS M16 (no, not an A1) that was issued.

Oh, and logic never really trumps emotion when purchasing a firearm. Admit it or not, you will end up getting what you "want".

lol yeah you probably right, problem is I want both
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:24:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
LMT .308

the correct answer
ETA: only though if you insist on .30 cal.

I'd probably argue for DI 556 though

Please tell me why it's the correct answer?

And the AR15/M16 is NOT DI.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:28:19 PM EDT

That is not an M1A, But this is an AR10:

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2012 8:51:42 AM EDT by haydendavid380]
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

AR10

IBTmag fags

AR-10's use the SR-25 pattern mags now so let them come.

What!?

ineedtodumpmym1anow

ETA- Are you sure about that? I'm still seeing M14 pattern mags on Armalite's website.

ETAA-It's the "A" models...got it
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:21:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:52:30 AM EDT
Another option: consider picking up an inexpensive bolt action for deer hunting. I have a savage in 308 for this. It's lighter than the other 308 options listed, and only cost $300 not including optics. If I sit in the woods with it and a little moisture gets to it, NBD. Not so with the scout, another m14 pattern rifle rifle of mine had visible rust after 1 rainy day at camp perry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2012 2:31:55 PM EDT by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By agillig:

What?

Point out where what I posted is not true.

His picture is of a USGI M14, not an M1A.

My picture is of an AR-10 being used by Canadians.

Roll your little fucking eyes all you want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:45:56 PM EDT

What rail are those crazy canuks using on that AR-10?

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 2:53:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Springer09:

I think those are Badger Ordnance handguards with pic rails.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:06:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Springer09:

I think those are Badger Ordnance handguards with pic rails.

Correct on the Badger Ordnance Handguard.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 2:03:13 PM EDT by Paul]
(Personal attack removed - warning issued - Paul)
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2012 1:51:34 PM EDT by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
I had the DPMS LR 308 AP4 and loved it. I have since sold it and bought a NM Springfield Loaded M1-A
The only way to shoot 308 is to reload, otherwise you are spending a ton of money.
I just love the looks of the M1A and it what my dad carried while in the service. My friend has the Scout. Both shoot fine, they do have more recoil than an AR-10 design. (Eat it Larryg. If ARF can call all 308 AR's AR10's in the EE forum, I will do the same.
The Scout gives you the 18" barrel and it is very easy to pull up on targets. M1A, Not so much, but i love it just the same.

You wanna call me out?

So other people prove they are stupid your goal is to be the same as them?

Okay, you succeeded.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:43:28 AM EDT

I had the DPMS LR 308 AP4 and loved it. I have since sold it and bought a NM Springfield Loaded M1-A
The only way to shoot 308 is to reload, otherwise you are spending a ton of money.
I just love the looks of the M1A and it what my dad carried while in the service. My friend has the Scout. Both shoot fine, they do have more recoil than an AR-10 design. (Eat it Larryg. If ARF can call all 308 AR's AR10's in the EE forum, I will do the same.
The Scout gives you the 18" barrel and it is very easy to pull up on targets. M1A, Not so much, but i love it just the same.

You wanna call me out?

Okay, you succeeded.

Dude, just grow up. For someone who is as old as you (judging by the time you claim to have served), you get riled up about some pretty stupid stuff.

If a guy says he likes the way a dressed up M14 looks, and uses that as justification for wanting an M1A, what's the issue? He's making the comparison because after he buys his M1A, he can make it look (for the most part) exactly like the pictured M14. There's no contradiction. It's like if someone calls a Novekse an "AR-15", and some jerk shows up screaming that "AR15" is a trademark of Colt. Who cares? Everyone knows what he means. Do you get upset when someone says Mauser rifles are 8mm, because technically, they are 7.92 mm?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:34:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By agillig:

You wanna call me out?

Okay, you succeeded.

Dude, just grow up. For someone who is as old as you (judging by the time you claim to have served), you get riled up about some pretty stupid stuff.

If a guy says he likes the way a dressed up M14 looks, and uses that as justification for wanting an M1A, what's the issue? He's making the comparison because after he buys his M1A, he can make it look (for the most part) exactly like the pictured M14. There's no contradiction. It's like if someone calls a Novekse an "AR-15", and some jerk shows up screaming that "AR15" is a trademark of Colt. Who cares? Everyone knows what he means. Do you get upset when someone says Mauser rifles are 8mm, because technically, they are 7.92 mm?

Yes, it is stupid stuff, stupid by those who do it. I have low tolerance for stupidity and plenty of people of people are stupid including those who try to chastize me for what I post.

If you don't like what I post, I really don't give a fuck.

Don't like it, don't read it.

An M1A is a particular model made by a particular mfg.
An AR15 is a particular model made by a particular mfg.
An AR10 is a particular model made by a particular mfg.
An LR-308 is a particular model made by a particular mfg.

This applies to many guns and many things.

If it is your goal to chastize me like some other stupid people do, go right the fuck ahead.

If you want to try to prove that you can post stuff just as stupid as those folks, go right ahead.

You wanna follow me around posting stupid shit, go right ahead.

You think you are making yourself look good to stupid people, go right ahead, you might look good to stupid people, but only to stupid people.

And if you think this is riled up, you ain't seen shit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:47:33 AM EDT
I have the scout squad and I love it. Just the right length for me and it feels natural. Also, it looks cool as hell!

As to the purse swinging in this thread; Holy shit, you guys are pedantic! Back up out of this thread and go post your jibes in a thread designed for it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:11:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Berzerker77:
I have the scout squad and I love it. Just the right length for me and it feels natural. Also, it looks cool as hell!

As to the purse swinging in this thread; Holy shit, you guys are pedantic! Back up out of this thread and go post your jibes in a thread designed for it.

Sorry, you don't get to make such demands.

However, if certain people stop giving me shit, people who quote me when I have not addressed them, I will return the favor.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:15:00 PM EDT
Can we get back to the thread?

I think the Scout is the perfect balance between a full size and SOCOM - in terms of weight and sight radius.

Replace the wooden stock if you have it with synthetic and it becomes light still. I used one of Fred's camo stocks.

I added a SAGE EBR to a couple of my M1As but it makes them excessively heavy imho.

I don't like the factory brake on the Scout, but haven't fiund anything better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:44:12 PM EDT
I don't care for the brake on the Scout either. It looks odd. I couldn't imagine firing it without it.
If I can dig up some pics I took of my friend firing his, you will be amazed at the muzzle flash.
The wooden stock makes it a pig, but it just looks so damn sweet.
I have the M1A. I leave the wooden GI stock on it while hanging in my gun room, and place the synthetic stock on it when I go shooting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:46:09 PM EDT
I like my M1A scout. Its a good shooter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 2:02:15 PM EDT by olds442tyguy]

You wanna call me out?

Okay, you succeeded.

Your epic case of little man syndrome is getting old.

That aside, one of the new Armalite's that are using the real AR10 pattern magazine are pretty appealing. So is a ground up Mega project too. It just seems to me the 308 AR's get a bit more bang for the buck in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 2:05:58 PM EDT by Paul]
Thread is locked. Two or three accounts can follow. Such childish behavior is not tollerated here.
Top Top