Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:20:36 PM EDT
Ok got a call the other day from a fellow arfcommer telling me our local shop just got in an unfired M1A and i should check it out since he knew I was kinda looking for one and the price was right. Anyway i go down and put it on hold til next week!! Pics will be forthcoming. Its a Springfield Armory M1A in black synthetic stock seems to look all stock except the guy said he had the trigger group "swapped out and had the "op rod" changed? What does this mean if anything and what ammo should i be shopping for and where? Also gonna need some mags that work and all sorts of other cool stuff!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT
I have heard stories of guys having problems with some of the new commercial made parts for the M1A. Sometimes Springfield will replace the commercial problem parts with the g.i. ones they still have....or with correct newer ones. Maybe that is what he means?? I have a lso read good things about ammoman.com selling some cheaper priced mags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:09:06 PM EDT
AR people like to put all kinds of optics and rail hand guards on their toys

FAL people like to build rifles with parts from different countries.

M1A people like to swap commercial parts out for USGI parts.

Understand?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:58:27 PM EDT

How funny the truth is!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:08:13 AM EDT
There's some useful background information and photographs here: www.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:01:17 AM EDT
Diff, thats a great site you got there saw that last night. So what ammo should I be looking for?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:38:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Maddogkiller:
AR people like to put all kinds of optics and rail hand guards on their toys

FAL people like to build rifles with parts from different countries.

M1A people like to swap commercial parts out for USGI parts.

Understand?

There's alot of truth right there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 2:36:34 PM EDT by Different]
Thanks, avoid Indian and Chilean ammunition. Portugese, British, Australian, South African and Malaysian surplus are all good. I like Remington UMC 150 grain FMJ .308 Winchester if you want to buy factory new stuff that's not match grade.

There's a bunch of ammo suppliers: www.ammoman.com www.jgsales.com www.aimsurplus.com www.ammunitionstore.com www.southernammo.com www.cheaperthandirt.com to name a few.
Top Top