Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2001 1:47:09 PM EDT
A local dealer has an M1A Standard for about $1400 and an M1A Scout for $1400.  Isn't the M1A Standard listed as $150 LESS than the Scout?

He asked me 'if I'm going to spend that much money on a rifle why not buy a fullsize' (instead of a Scout) and that the Scout is inaccurate for shooting with iron sights, the standard is much better, etc.

I know he has kids to college and caveat emptor, etc., but is the Scout that much less of a performer, or is he trying to pass the $300 markup on to me?  (Turner's, a local chain, has Standards for $1200 and out of stock of Scouts for $1350).

Please advise.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a rather glowing review about the M1A Scout in the current issue of Soldier of Fortune Magazine by Chuck Kurwan.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the question that needs to be asked is the following: what is going to be your primary use for this weapon? If you are dabbling in highpower, looking for a go-to battle rifle or just want the most accurate, robust 7.62 semi-auto available, get the standard M1A. If you are planning on spending time in the bushes, in the jungle, on a horse or just need a quick handling properties of a carbine sized weapon get the scout. Also, that is guy is full-of-it to say that the scout ain't accurate. It won't hang with a match conditioned M1A, but mine has always stayed under 2MOA and that is in league with or better than most G3s and FALs that I've gotten my hands on.
  I, too, read that SOF article on the scout and they gave it a very good review.
   For good deals, check subguns.com non-NFA board or gunsamerica.com(when it comes back on line). I have seen better deals than what youy have been quoted.
  Whichever you choose, you can't lose-the M-14/MIA type rifles are fantastic.
    Regards, Harp
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
For a price point I paid $1250 for the national match M1A. At $1400 I would expect a McMillian barrel on that thing. Why not buy from Turners if they're $200 cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle will be used as a plinker, 3-gun match rifle.  It's my slow (but powerful) response to the AR-15 question, that's why I want a short barrel on it.

Turner's is out of stock.  I should have bought it from them when they had it for $1350 but wasn't sure if I wanted to fix up a Mini-14 instead.

The only place that has one is selling it for $1700.  OUCH.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to go standard, keep your eyes open. I've seen them go for just under a 1000 in Shotgun news ads before. If you don't mind getting used, you can pick them up for about a grand too. Used doesn't make much difference with this rifle, because if you get one, it will get shot. Trust me.
The scout is decently priced. I've only seen them between $1300-1450. So that's not too bad. I like the full size because I don't like the muzzle brake, on the scout. Teeth rattler.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
$1400 for a standard-grade M1A????  Is the fucking receiver gold plated?  No way in hell should you pay that much for a rack-grade.  The scout rifles are not inaccurate with iron sights, they shoot just fine.  A plain-Jane M1A wholesales for about $961 from RSR, so he's only passing on about $450 in markup to you.  Look around, you can find one for about a grand or so.  I wouldn't bother with the scout unless you really have a need for a handier rifle, 'cause they are more expensive than the standard grade (about $1100 wholesale, depending on stock).

If you really want a handy .308 carbine, check out the 18" and 16" FAL's from Arizona Response Systems.  If you get the Imbel receiver, they'll run you under $1100.  Mark Graham's work is top-notch.  I'm sure Derek Huffman at Azex would make you a carbine-length FAL, too.  I prefer the M1A system for a full-size rifle, but those FAL carbines are really sweet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you miss a point; he lives in California and can’t buy a FAL.  :(
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
$1400 for a standard-grade M1A????  Is the fucking receiver gold plated?  No way in hell should you pay that much for a rack-grade.  The scout rifles are not inaccurate with iron sights, they shoot just fine.  

Yup I live in CA.  I don't know about this guy--they're well known but it seems he's into pressure sales and that ain't cool.  I call on the phone (I've called about a dozen stores) and say "You got any M1A Scouts?" He says "Yeah just come on down and we'll write you up."  So I go there and, nope, no scouts, just the fullsize.  After talking about why the Scout sucks compared to the Standards, he calls his distributor in front of me and says "How many Scouts you got?  None?  Ok bye."  Then says he sells about an M1A Standard about every day or something like that, and those on the wall will be gone this weekend, so let me write you up and pulls out some paperwork and puts in front of me.

Whatever dude.  I told him I was only interested in the Scout and left.  WTF?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid $1150.00 for my standard M1A, and $1400.00 will get you pretty close to a National Match, but not quite here in AZ. Try J & G sales, in Prescott, AZ. They have a distributor right down the street, and you can check availability right off of their website. And, yes, they do have the CA versions, too. I was going to buy mine from them, but all they had were CA models, at that time.

www.jgsales.com
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Standard" M1A with GI Brl is the cheapest and lightest of M1A variants. It should not be more than $1,150.00.

Try Gold Coast Trading Co in Huntington Beach, or see if your local Walmart will order you one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The "Standard" M1A with GI Brl is the cheapest and lightest of M1A variants. It should not be more than $1,150.00.

Try Gold Coast Trading Co in Huntington Beach, or see if your local Walmart will order you one.

Totally correct on that quote, but you left out most versatile.
GG
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a standard walnut on gunandknife right now for $950.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I got my scout!!!  I think I'm better off with the M1A instead of the AR15 (even if COULD get them) because I have a couple 20-rounders I got a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Scout or Squad Scout ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top