Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/29/2001 6:48:46 PM EDT
I finally got my M1A back from SA, and noticed the barrel is marked "TRW 12 63". Is this a new barrel, or is it a used govt. surplus? Anybody have any info on this?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:56:07 PM EDT
That is a GI barrel, made by TRW in Dec of 63. The barrel is chrome lined. I bought one a while back and it was new, because it was unchambered. Chances are it is new, or slightly used.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:01:53 PM EDT
Thanks macloud, I was hoping it was brand new, but I now have a reason to go with a Douglas or Krieger.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:30:50 PM EDT
Why not at least shoot the TRW barrel before you get rid of it? Unless you're planning to seriously compete in service rifle matches or are making an M21/M25-type rifle, that GI barrel will most likely shoot more accurately than you're capable of.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:00:09 PM EDT
Don't worry, I'll shoot the shit out of that barrel. Some day I would like to make it in to a "match" rifle, though. An old dude at the range I shoot at has a Springfield Super Match, and it's a very nice rifle, but I would rather wear out my original barrel first, then upgrade later. My original question was to see if it was new or not, since I can't tell by looking at it. Me and Springfield Armory have been going at it over this rifle, and I just wanted to make sure I was getting what I paid for, not surplus junk.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:08:17 PM EDT
It's probably an unused surplus barrel. The GI chrome-lined barrels are great, it should outlast a match barrel by quite a bit. It's a much better barrel for a 'shooter' than a Douglas or Krieger, also lighter and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:50:41 PM EDT
If the TRW barrel is used it would have a punch mark in the P stamp on the side near the recvr. These GI M14 barrels are built too last " chrome bore and chamber " and would be tough to shoot out !
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:06:25 AM EDT
Macloud
How did you chamber the barrel with the chrome bore?
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:31:37 AM EDT
I did not. I ended up buying the rifle in the "some assembly required" fashion. Basically I bought a box of parts which had about 80% of what I needed. I bought the balance of the parts and shipped them to a friend in New Mexico for assembly. He is an 85 year old Navy armorer. He is assembling my rifle with the greatest of speed, which so far has been about 2 months. He does excellent work, but he takes his time. The current holdup is that he does not have a chamber reamer, but he is in the process of getting one.

I don't now the specifics of how he is going to do it, but he did not seemed concerned. I was also wondering the same thing, but he is the expert and he will get it done, though it may be 6 more months. This guy has all the neat M1 and M14 specialized tools, so I fell confident that he will get it right.

As a side note, I am trying to find out when the receiver was made. It is a Springfield Armory M1A with a serial number of 206xx. I called them, they gave me a number that no one ever answers. Anyone have an idea?
Top Top