Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:10:12 PM EST
I have a few hundred M193 pulls (55gr FMJBT) that I'm using to get started on reloading with. I've noticed on these that the cannelure is all over the place. Sometimes it's more rear-ward toward the boat-tail, sometimes it's higher toward the nose of the bullet. The variance is great enough that with a uniform COAL of 2.24x and brass that's all 1.74 - 1.75" long, sometimes I can see the entire cannelure, sometimes I can't see it at all, sometimes it's right on the case mouth where it should be.

Anyone seen this before, and should I worry about it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:20:19 PM EST
Never noticed it. Where'd you get your M193 pulls from? My M193/M855/M856 pulls have all had fairly consistent cantelures on them. Now if say a Speer, or Winchester 55gr FMJBT get's mixed in there, the cantelures are in slightly different locations in my experience.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:49:03 AM EST
I have some that have the cannulure low as well. They are fine to shoot, just get them close as possible. i've had some that the cannelure was out of the case, still went down range and hit the mark.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:39:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 5:42:25 AM EST by Motor1]
Originally Posted By jacobean:
I have a few hundred M193 pulls (55gr FMJBT) that I'm using to get started on reloading with. I've noticed on these that the cannelure is all over the place. Sometimes it's more rear-ward toward the boat-tail, sometimes it's higher toward the nose of the bullet. The variance is great enough that with a uniform COAL of 2.24x and brass that's all 1.74 - 1.75" long, sometimes I can see the entire cannelure, sometimes I can't see it at all, sometimes it's right on the case mouth where it should be.

I have not bought any pulled .223 bullets but what you are experiencing is the same that I see with pulled 147gr .308 FMJ's. I believe the reason is that the ammo was originally made by different vendors and are now mixed together. I try to find the one(s) that seats the longest and set my seater so it will be on my target OAL. The rest just go where they will. Don't worry about crimping them it's really not necessary but if you have a taper crimp die you could give them a little squeeze.

Different seating depths can also occur from the bullets having a different tip profile. This is very common too with pulled milsurp bullets.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:20:26 AM EST
As mentioned often surplus M193 pulls are from several different lots. Evidently the cannelure is placed on the bullet at a distance from the tip rather than from the base. This creates different cannelure positions due to the difference in bullet tip shapes. Sharp tip-cannelure higher from base, rounded tip-cannelure closer to base.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:44:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By kcobean:

I mostly shoot pulls. They are wildly inconsistent in several aspects to include cannelure placement. This is why they are pulls in the first place. Don't worry about it. Shoot em up and enjoy their low prices. Don't expect match grade precision or waste a lot of time/ money chasing a super accurate load.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:25:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 4:26:20 PM EST by Stump70]
Originally Posted By jgieske:
Originally Posted By kcobean:

I mostly shoot pulls. They are wildly inconsistent in several aspects to include cannelure placement. This is why they are pulls in the first place. Don't worry about it. Shoot em up and enjoy their low prices. Don't expect match grade precision or waste a lot of time/ money chasing a super accurate load.

Pretty much sums it up.

I come across this occasionally. It's actually pretty easy to see when you set them standing up on a flat surface.
Doesn't take alot of time either. Seperate,then I label "High/Low" for cannelure and adjust when I need.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:00:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:09:50 PM EST
Youll see this on new bullets too. Trim your brass to length and load to specified OAL and then let the cannelure end up where it may. Use a Lee factorry crimp die if you want to ensure your loads get a good grip on the bullet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:21:55 PM EST
How do you maintain a consistent coal? Most of the pulls I've bought vary in length between .890 - .915 for the 62 grain. I have to sort them by length otherwise my coal varies from 2.240 - 2.60ish with some lower and some higher. Surplus are by far the biggest pita that I've loaded, unless there's a trick I'm missing.

With any surplus I use the Lee FCD.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:09:24 PM EST
I just ordered 2k pulls from RMR with inconsistent canelures. I'm thinking I'll just seat them all the same and use a Lee FC.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:59:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By splunkinoob:
How do you maintain a consistent coal? Most of the pulls I've bought vary in length between .890 - .915 for the 62 grain. I have to sort them by length otherwise my coal varies from 2.240 - 2.60ish with some lower and some higher. Surplus are by far the biggest pita that I've loaded, unless there's a trick I'm missing.

The trick is not loading for accuracy when loading pulls. None of my pull loads have ever been for accuracy. For my intents and purposes, a crimp isn't needed. Now start talking about my hunting ammo, .284 loads, or 7mm mag loads, that is another story entirely.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:39:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 4:39:49 AM EST by Motor1]
Originally Posted By splunkinoob:

(copied and pasted from my post above)

I try to find the one(s) that seats the longest and set my seater so it will be on my target OAL. The rest just go where they will.

For the AR. Find the ones that seat the longest and set you seater for what length fits your magazines. Let the the others go where they will.

It's also a good idea to keep your load away from the top end pressure wise. The different bullet designs could cause a hot load to go hotter.
Top Top