Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2014 5:37:14 PM EDT
I bought this Eddystone with the stock already cut down.  Just wanted to own one and bought it before I knew the differences in the manufacturers.  The last 8 inches of barrel turned out to be pretty rusty and pitted.  I shot a mailbox sized group with M2 surplus at 100y.  Not great but I still like it.  I chronographed the M2 ammo so I can compare it to the shortened barrel.  

The barrel is now clean, at 17.25" and threaded for an old style AR FH.  I will make a more period, cone shaped flash hider when I have time.  Spun the barrel and blasted with light media to retain the original markings.  Reused the front sight and kept the receiver intact (for you purists!).  Shortened the length of pull .75" when I installed the recoil pad.  This is a stand up shooter, so I like a shorter LOP.  It still has the cock on closing, which I like.  Finished it off by blueing it with a matte finish.  

It's a tad heavy and still needs a little trigger work but I'm digging it.  My new truck gun.  50 state legal.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I kinda like it!  It reminds me a little of the shortened "Bushmaster" 1903s used by the Oklahoma National Guard in Panama in the early '40s.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It'll probably get locked for not being C&R any longer, but you did a good job on an already sporterized piece IMO. Looks good, but I would add a sling.

As long as you don't drill and tap the receiver you can always choose to put a new Criterion barrel and stockset on it later to bring it back to "original" configuration.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks Good! I think it would look better with a cutdown handguard and band w/sling swivel but, still very cool.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it very cool how's it shoot
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for moving to proper topic.
I have a full, original stock with handguards and metal.  I saw a pic of an SBR 1917 that had the top HG and barrel band.  I may look into that, just need the hg band. Next I want to make a rear sight that is more accurate, yet fits where the stock one sits with no mods to the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it!
And love repurposing bubba'd rifles!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like that,

This is my ongoing 03A3 Scout project. I re-barreled this in .308 and modified M16A2 front and rear sight bases accordingly. Still need to work on the internal magazine to feed the shorter .308 rounds more reliably, park it and finish the stock.  

" />

" />

Definitely go with a shortened handguard and consider moving the rear swivel to the side and modifying a lower band to match. Makes for a better carrying carbine slung across your back.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the sights very far off from their markings?  That rifle is so cool.  Going to need to haunt the pawn shops to pick one up now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I was able to chronograph it last week.  Using the same ammo as before, M2 surplus, it lost 160fps avg.  I'm satisfied with that.  

I also tested Hornady's Superformance 150gr BTHP ammo.  Avg velocity was right at 2900fps.  For a 17.5" barrel I'm pleased with that.  There was NO noticable flash from either round.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a cool and unique piece.

I would be happy to own that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Needs a bayonet adapter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top