Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:13:28 PM EDT
Which do you think would go down in history as the best battle rifle?
Sorry, yes I had to leave out the AR-10, I couldn't make it that easy!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The FAL
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL, aka The Right Arm of the Free World.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
In lieu of .308 AR's, I choose the FAL.

Specifically, the STG-58 with the awesome Steyr barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If it was my favorite the m14 by far but prob the FaL is the best
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had to choose one to carry everyday and bet my life on, it would the M-14.

If I wanted to vote on the most popular as a result of the most units manufactured and world wide distribution, the FAL.

Additionally, the M-14 won the test trails held in the late fifities by the US GOVT to pick our next battle rifle, the FAL could not perform in the cold at the time the tests were conducted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The AK is the rifle for the masses and the FAL is the rifle for the classes. - Jeff Cooper

FAL for the win.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The G3 and M14 are better on the logistical side compared to the FAL.  They both have 1/2 the number of total parts and quite a few less springs.  The  FAL has close to 200 total parts and if anyone has every parked one is seems like it takes forever to bead blast it

AS far as reliablility, accuracy and ergonomics ther are all about the same.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
It will really boil down to your personal preferences.

The FAL fits me better than a G3, so I prefer it.

At one time I had an FAL and an M1A, I find the FAL easier to clean too.

The G3 doesn't fit me and the character of the recoil is unpleasant to me.  It's subtle, but real.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The G3 doesn't fit me and the character of the recoil is unpleasant to me.  It's subtle, but real.

Nothing subtle about it~! I can shot my FAL or M1A all day.  My 91 knock off lets me know its there with authority.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Histories recollection of the best battle rifle?

M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The trials were rigged against the FAL

FAL
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

not any more

why anyone would take an old heavy 8 rd rifle over a more modern 20 to 30 rd rifle like the FAL is beyond me
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FAL

I always thought so too until I read the latest account of the actual selection process in a recent article in the SAR.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
They are all heavy.

Most reliable is the G3. Thats what I would get out of the three. (The FAL I've never owned btw)

If you want something more accurate, better ergo's, and easiest to mount a scope on get an AR-10 from Armalite.

Won't be as reliable as the G3 mind you but it will do everything else very well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL

I always thought so too until I read the latest account of the actual selection process in a recent article in the SAR.  

I thought that, than read that, but then theres a article floating around by one of those involved, and they still swear, that the FAL, kept winning, untill they so stacked the deck, the FAL couldnt compete, but for what its worth, the M14 had allready won, and didnt have to complete the deal changer test the FAL had to.  It was a very interesting read, and I wish I could find it again.  In a nut shell it really did boil down to politics, and the fact the the US military thought the FAL to "unAmerican"
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL

It was very interesting article, I just wish the G3 could have been in the trials too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Out of the three, the G3 seems to be the simplest with less parts and IMHO, with the free floating barrel is the winner, but
as an American, I do love my M1A and would carry it to hell and back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Fusil Automatique Leger
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
1: FAL
2: G3
3: M14
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Well between the 3 I'd say the FAL..... used by many countries still today...

G3 in second........ again it was used by several countries.

M14 in third....... no doubt a GREAT rifle, but it was only in use in the US for a short time as the Main Rifle for our troops.... still used in the squad sharp shooter role..... not used by nearly as many as the FAL though
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Argentina, Australia, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Greece (Navy), Haiti, Honduras, Israel, Lithuania, Niger, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia and Venezuela are all listed as users on the M14 entry on wikipedia.

South Korea even took theirs to Vietnam.

What isn't said in that list is how many of those nations are using US guns that were given them as military aid.  Taiwan built their own.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well between the 3 I'd say the FAL..... used by many countries still today...

G3 in second........ again it was used by several countries.

M14 in third....... no doubt a GREAT rifle, but it was only in use in the US for a short time as the Main Rifle for our troops.... still used in the squad sharp shooter role..... not used by nearly as many as the FAL though

hey thats what I said!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Argentina, Australia, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Greece (Navy), Haiti, Honduras, Israel, Lithuania, Niger, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia and Venezuela are all listed as users on the M14 entry on wikipedia.

What isn't said in that list is how many of those nations are using US guns that were given them as military aid.  Taiwan built their own.

What does it say for the FAL?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive fired the G3, never owned one, never pusued to own one (not to say I wouldnt own one) I have an FAL, and I have several M1A styles. It may be personal preference but Id rather take my M1a into a situation than I would the FAL,the FAL to me LOOKS like a more efficient battle weapon.I shoot better, feel more comfortable and am WAY more effective at longer ranges with the M1a. Your milage may vary though, it comes down to what weapon fits you better, and THAT isthe better weapon whatever it may be
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

not any more

why anyone would take an old heavy 8 rd rifle over a more modern 20 to 30 rd rifle like the FAL is beyond me

Why anyone would pick any of these three over a more modern design like the Scar17 is beyond me!
However, nobody said anything about "which would you take". I never said I'd "take an M1 over later rifles. The OP asked "Which do you think would go down in history as the best battle rifle?" My point was all three specified rifles are at best amatures compared to the combat history of the Garand. Ask Nazi Germany or the Empire of Japan.
Is it technically superior to the M14, FAL, or G3? Admittedly no, but all three of those are 30 year old plus obsolecent designs now as well, so that should be moot.
I've owned all three. Have you? I don't own any of them now, because I sold them for a "more modern" rifle, and now pack the afore mentioned Scar17. I didn't mention it in my original post, as it is thus far historically insignificant despite being ridiculously superior to all three other rifles in everything but price, and magazine availability.
However, of the three rifles listed, I would say the FAL was the most successful design, and would easily garner the title of the best battle rifle of the Cold War period.
PS: While I sold my M1A and last of my FAL's to finance my Scar, I still have three M1 Garands
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does it say for the FAL?

Over 90 users. Only the Kalashnikov beats it, and that isn't a "battle rifle". Of the three the OP originally listed, this list is "why" the FAL is the clear winner.
All users (from Wikipedia):
 Argentina
 Australia
 Austria
 Bahrain
 Bangladesh
 Barbados
 Belgium
 Belize
 Bolivia
 Botswana
 Brazil
 Burundi
 Cambodia
 Cameroon
 Canada
 Chad
 Chile
 Colombia
 Congo
 Costa Rica
 Cuba
 Cyprus
 Democratic Republic of Congo
 Djibouti
 Dominican Republic
 Ecuador
 Fiji
 Gambia
 Ghana
 Greece
 Guyana
 Honduras
 India
 Ireland
 Israel
 Jamaica
 Kenya
 Kuwait
 Lebanon
 Liberia
 Libya
 Luxembourg
 Malawi
 Malaysia
 Malta
 Mexico
 Morocco
 Mozambique
 Myanmar
 Nepal
 Netherlands
 New Zealand
 Nigeria
 Oman
 Panama
 Papua New Guinea
 Paraguay
 Peru
 Portugal
 Qatar
 Rhodesia
 Rwanda
 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
 South Africa
 Sri Lanka
 Suriname]
 Swaziland
 Syria
 Tanzania
 Thailand
 Togo
 Trinidad and Tobago
 Tunisia
 Turkey
 Uganda
 United Arab Emirates
 United Kingdom
 Uruguay
 Venezuela
 West Germany
 Yemen
 Zambia
 Zimbabwe

This is the reason the rifle was known as the "Right arm of the free world".
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
FAL, though I currently like shooting my M1A more.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Why anyone would pick any of these three over a more modern design like the Scar17 is beyond me!

Cheap mags.

Available spares.

Buy two complete guns for the price of one SCAR.

Historical interest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

not any more

However, nobody said anything about "which would you take". I never said I'd "take an M1 over later rifles. The OP asked "Which do you think would go down in history as the best battle rifle?" My point was all three specified rifles are at best amatures compared to the combat history of the Garand. Ask Nazi Germany or the Empire of Japan.
Is it technically superior to the M14, FAL, or G3? Admittedly no, but all three of those are 30 year old plus obsolecent designs now as well, so that should be moot.
I've owned all three. Have you? I don't own any of them now, because I sold them for a "more modern" rifle, and now pack the afore mentioned Scar17. I didn't mention it in my original post, as it is thus far historically insignificant despite being ridiculously superior to all three other rifles in everything but price, and magazine availability.
However, of the three rifles listed, I would say the FAL was the most successful design, and would easily garner the title of the best battle rifle of the Cold War period.
PS: While I sold my M1A and last of my FAL's to finance my Scar, I still have three M1 Garands

Based on this criteria the Mauser rifle would beat all of these in spades.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Touche'
Except they lost!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#35]
The US and Brits had significant numbers of M1903 an M1917s in the field during WWII, so they won too
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, but the Arisaka is a Mauser as much as a 1903 is; and they lost...

Come to think of it, Mauser lost against Krag and Trapdoor too!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

It doesn't even come close to the FAL's record of service in so many numbers and in so many different places around the globe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Owned all three at one time or another.

Still own and will always have a FAL on hand in case 7.62 NATO
horsepower is needed.

(zombie clowns in cars, rogue buffalo in my backyard, etc....)

Had a GI TRW bolt on my M-14 clone disassemble itself one day.

Took about three hands to put it back together at the range, a real pain in the ass
and kind of a WTF moment.

FAL is much easier to work on if you had to change a firing pin for example.

So my vote is for the FAL, but the M-14 and G3/HK91 are really good weapons.

However, the FAL has a better combination of features and ease of handling/maint.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

It doesn't even come close to the FAL's record of service in so many numbers and in so many different places around the globe.

Yea, but look at the places.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Owned all three at one time or another.

Still own and will always have a FAL on hand in case 7.62 NATO
horsepower is needed.

(zombie clowns in cars, rogue buffalo in my backyard, etc....)

Had a GI TRW bolt on my M-14 clone disassemble itself one day.

Took about three hands to put it back together at the range, a real pain in the ass
and kind of a WTF moment.
FAL is much easier to work on if you had to change a firing pin for example.

So my vote is for the FAL, but the M-14 and G3/HK91 are really good weapons.

However, the FAL has a better combination of features and ease of handling/maint.

I had that happen to me once also, it sucked!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Has the FAL been mentioned yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I think all of them could make the claim. I haven’t fired the FAL or G3, but I grew up with the M-1 Garand and M-14, so I have a soft spot for them. I think WWII trumps any Cold War action the FAL or G3 ever saw. And when push came to shove in the sand box, it was the M-14 that was pulled out of storage to give to snipers and designated marksmen. The Assault Weapons didn’t seem to be able to hack the program in Afghanistan.

The Garand has one additional advantage. In this politically charged environment, the Garand has a non-removable 8 rd. mag, not a 10 rd. plus removable mag. It doesn’t seem to get caught up in the politics as easily as other weapons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]
The Brits have pulled their L1A1s out of storage twice now, once for Desert Storm and again recently (what few they could find).

I think the FAL is giving the Garand a run for its money in usage thanks to Africa.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Garand.

Yea, but look at the places.

Yeah, the some of the shittiest shitholes on this rock, and it's still going strong. If that's not a glowing (more rusting and dirt- and carbon-encrusted) review, I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FAL, aka The Right Arm of the Free World.

Yup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top