Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 3:12:35 PM EDT
I just scored two M14 RASs. I have one Scout and one Loaded model.

The loaded model has a heavier NM barrel so the RAS will not mount up right on the front- the barrel is too thick.

Some options I am looking at include grinding the barrel shim or finding an adapter if one exists.

Has anyone solved a similar problem?

Does anyone have a link to Knight's webpage? I can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a link to Knight's webpage? I can't seem to find it.

The phone number is (321) 607-9900

I was able to score a RAS for my second build because the 1st. guy
that purchased it found that it only fits on standard contour barrels.

Let us know if you are able to work around the problem.

Build #2 with Knight's RAS - This is what I have so far.
Plus, I just picked up a 17 5/8" chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Knights' Website: www.knightarmco.com/

Would love to be able to get one of these up here in Canada...:(

Take care,

Brobee
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
will that RAS fit ok on a scout model?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The M1A Scout Squad has a standard contour barrel so the M14 RAS will fit it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Post pics when your done.

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know of some good pricing for that RAS?  A quick seach turned up $499 which I find outrageous, considering a SAGE stock can be had for about $200 more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Post pics when your done.

Thanks
Max

id also love to see some pix
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Update 1of 29 SEP: Sorry guys. I have been out of town for a while. I am going to take it to McCann's here in town to see if they can fit it. I will post pics and price as soon as it comes back.

In December I am goping back home for leave. I will put the other RAS on my scout while I am there and get some pics.

They should look great. I am pretty excited about finding them.

Update 2 of 29 SEP: Well, McCann was not in so I took to another gunsmith. I will pick it up tomorrow (excellent turn around- the gunsmith at The Marksman on Canyon Rd). I have not seen it yet- he did say that it blocked the front sight post so that only about 1/4- 1/8 is visible. I will be mounting a scope so, it is not a real problem for me. Just something that you should be mindful about on a dedicated irons rifle. He said that you could still see enough to aim- just cluttered. I will post pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Knights' Website: www.knightarmco.com/

Would love to be able to get one of these up here in Canada...:(

Take care,

Brobee

Don't you get polytechs for 400 cnd?  Why ya jealous?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
OK- I finally picked up the rifle today. It was a total cost of $138 for fitting the rail. The irons are easily usable through the groove in the top of the rail system. The added weight is noticeable. I can't wait to get the glass on top. Note the piece that replaces the stripper guide with a picatinny rail. I will try to get the scope rings this weekend and will post more pics as soon as it is mounted.
I am really happy with the rail and the work done by the smith. I look forward to mounting the other on my Scout. I would highly recommend them for Scout owners.

The glass will be a 3.5-10x40 VariX III Leupy with Mil Dots and target turrets. I am still unsure on what height rings to use with the rail system. The rear sight will be the determinig factor on the height. I am open to suggestions.

Here are the pics:

With a Taiwanese mag in place on top of some gear:

Close up of the rail:
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The glass will be a 3.5-10x40 VariX III Leupy with Mil Dots and target turrets. I am still unsure on what height rings to use with the rail system. The rear sight will be the determinig factor on the height. I am open to suggestions.

Buy a Larue SPR-EER mount and mount it backwards on the scope rail.  The extra cantelievered length will fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Sourthern Raider,
i am looking for info on a previous post with someone mounting a spr e..  backwards on a scout model..  do you have any  idea where i may find pics of that?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a Larue SPR-EER mount and mount it backwards on the scope rail.  The extra cantelievered length will fit perfectly.

I looked up the price- ~$200!!

I am can't spend $200 on a mount when I have already bought a mount. I just need rings. I will probably go with Badger Ordnance or ARMS. I love Badger rings but, having the quick release of the ARMS would be nice if I ever have to get to the irons quick.

I still need advice on what height rings to get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
OK- I found some Leupy rings (high) that work really well. Here are some p[ics of the mounted scope.....................

The scoped rifle on some gear:

The close up of the rings, scope, and mount:
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anybody know of some good pricing for that RAS?  A quick seach turned up $499 which I find outrageous, considering a SAGE stock can be had for about $200 more.

Totally agree.

Knights always has nice stuff. But I would go for SAGE.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally agree.

Knights always has nice stuff. But I would go for SAGE.

I would too but, I found these two RASs for $340. I was going to put a scope mount for the one pictured. Since a good mount is about $250, I figured I couldn't beat getting two complete rail systems for $90 more. The normal price for the RAS is outrageous. I would advise people go for the SAGE unless you find a good deal like I found.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Larue SPR-EER on a SAGE:

Keep in mind that using the rear clip guide on an M1A generally, but doesn't always, work well.  It's not a tightly controlled part of the receiver.  The SAGE rear clip costs $50 and ARMS rings will set you back another $110.  When you're done, you better like where it sets as you have very little adjustment.  

The Larue mount costs about $50 more, but has extra adjustability and no BS if you have clip guide issues.  (Uncommon but not unheard of.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
nice... is the relief comfortable?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
nice... is the relief comfortable?

The relief is great, right where it needs to be. I was kind of concerned about stock weld but, it is more comfortable than I have heard it described.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Larue SPR-EER on a SAGE :)

Can you use the irons with this in place?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had that same set up and no, you can't use the irons with the scope mounted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Larue SPR-EER on a SAGE:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/Oct0101.jpg

Keep in mind that using the rear clip guide on an M1A generally, but doesn't always, work well.  It's not a tightly controlled part of the receiver.  The SAGE rear clip costs $50 and ARMS rings will set you back another $110.  When you're done, you better like where it sets as you have very little adjustment.  

The Larue mount costs about $50 more, but has extra adjustability and no BS if you have clip guide issues.  (Uncommon but not unheard of.)

Now that's thinking.  Nice set up.  I have on on my AR and it is a very good mount.  Repeatability and no wandering zero.  I highly recommend it.  I bought it for Grant from GandRtactical.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  However, with a SAGE stock and the cheek piece in the lowest position, use of iron sights is awkward at best.

The cheek piece on my setup is elevated, and does not move quickly without a tool (i.e. bullet tip at least)  The SAGE stock is for optics.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  However, with a SAGE stock and the cheek piece in the lowest position, use of iron sights is awkward at best.

The cheek piece on my setup is elevated, and does not move quickly without a tool (i.e. bullet tip at least)  The SAGE stock is for optics.

I agree the SAGE is best suited to optics however; I have
not had a problem using irons on either of my SAGE stocks.
This is why I went with a see through SEI mount on my SAGE.

I like your set up and I am going to consider the Larue SPR-EER mount for my Knight's RAS equipped rifle -
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
southern, is there any issue with brass deflection using the larue?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
southern, is there any issue with brass deflection using the larue?

I haven't shot it yet, so this does need to be checked out.  There appears to be more clearance than the SEI mount pic, so I'm not too worried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top