I am looking into buying an M14 at some time in the future from either LRB or Fulton.
Some questions I have are...
1) Can you shoot .308 in a 7.62 chamber?
I know they are more or less the same, but there are slightly different tolerances, correct?
2) What parts are common to break from wear/tear or malfunction?
3) How many magazines make up a combat load for an M14?
4) Does the US Mil consider M14 mags consumables like AR/M1 carbine mags?
5) For ammo can one shoot commercial loads close to the .mil specs, or should one stick to surplus/handloads?
6) What is the average price for an M14 mag? stripper clips?
2) firing pin, extractor and spring, trigger pin
3) In 1965, the standard USMC issue for the infantry rifleman was five M14 magazines. The infantry automatic rifleman was given eight M14 magazines. Sixty round bandoleers were also carried into combat as desired/required by the mission.
4) AFAIK, no but I could be wrong.
6) $25.00 is not unusual these days for a USGI M14 magazine.
1) Should be. The 7.62x51 chamber dimentions are loser/larger, so 308 will fit. I'm not sure about chamber pressure. 308 has a hotter psi than 7.62x51.
Need someone smarter than I.
1.If you have the Head space set up right, you can shoot both.
2. Covered, but in regards to the extractor, there are cast and forged models on the market. If you have a choice, make sure it's a USGI forged unit, and not one of the casted units.
4. No, the rifle has a mag clip feeder built into the rifle so the mags can be recharged while still in the weapon.
5. Again ,depends on how the head space is set up.
6. Tawian mags go for around $12.50 from ammoman, USGI's are going for $25 from armalite. As for stripper clips, under $10 for a hundred.