Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:24:17 PM EDT
I just got  91/30 all cleaned up from AIM surplus and I need some info about lubing the bolt.  I have been using CLP but I was wondering if a light grease might be more proper.  Like the M1/M14 rifles, grease is used on the locking lugs and op-rod because the receiver and bolt are exposed outside.  Are there any downsides to using grease on a bolt action besides it collecting more dust?  Who uses it religiously?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil applied lightly is all it will need.  Mosins cock when you bring the bolt handle up, so it will always feel a little stiff when operating the action after a shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oil applied lightly is all it will need.  Mosins cock when you bring the bolt handle up, so it will always feel a little stiff when operating the action after a shot.

I was more curious about the protective qualities or grease in an open action.  It tends to stay put and not evaporate away or be susceptible to moisture and rain.  I'm especially concerned about preventing corrosion on the odd "white steel" used to make the bolt group, as my fingerprints have already imprinted on the bolt handle clearly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was more curious about the protective qualities or grease in an open action.  It tends to stay put and not evaporate away or be susceptible to moisture and rain.  I'm especially concerned about preventing corrosion on the odd "white steel" used to make the bolt group, as my fingerprints have already imprinted on the bolt handle clearly.

As long as you aren't storing your MN in a humid basement or deliberately exposing it to moisture for prolonged periods, you're good to go.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use EEZOX on mine so CLP should be OK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I use grease on the bolt locking lugs ant the camming surfaces of the cocking piece. Also a bit on the boltways to smooth the action out. I use a military rifle grease dated 1963 I found at the local FFL. I oil all other parts with a light coat of Hoppe's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top