Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 11:44:01 PM EDT
So I'm a newb on AR pistols and SBRs and thinking about a 9mm AR pistol with at least a 10.5 in. barrel but I get the idea that short barrels are louder than standard (16") barrels. Am I correct on this? If so what does it take so a  10.5 to 12.5 barrel is no louder than a 16" barrel with an A2 FH?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The shorter the barrel the louder yes, but if you want a 9mm sbr or pistol, even a 7" barrel is longer than most handguns and should be quieter than a standard pistol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 If so what does it take so a  10.5 to 12.5 barrel is no louder than a 16" barrel with an A2 FH?
View Quote

more hearing protection.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm a newb on AR pistols and SBRs and thinking about a 9mm AR pistol with at least a 10.5 in. barrel but I get the idea that short barrels are louder than standard (16") barrels. Am I correct on this? If so what does it take so a  10.5 to 12.5 barrel is no louder than a 16" barrel with an A2 FH?
View Quote

If you are building a 9mm AR pistol it will be no louder than a 9mm pistol with a 4-5" barrel.  If you shot a pistol before you have nothing to worry about the sound should not increase.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, most 9mm loads peak out the muzzle velocity with the barrel length at about 16".  Also, most standard, not special subsonic, loads will be faster than the speed of sound out of a 16" barrel, however the muzzle blast and related noise will likely be less than from a shorter barrel.  Most AR-15 9mm actions are blowback which causes a noticable ejection port noise that generally will exceed locked action pistol port noise.  As such, relative, cumulative total noise will depend.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue, and stay hearing safe!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find a f/hider that works for you. AND suppress it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have an AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel, seems like every time I sent rounds downrange someone would come up and ask what kind of pistol I was firing that made that much noise. Something like a Levang Linear Comp will help focus more noise & concussion downrange.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
suppress it friend. nothing creates a bigger smile for family and friends - it will be something they remember for their entire lives..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a HK-53 clone with an 8" barrel. Anyone shooting to either side of me can feel the concussion and the usual response is "WHAT WAS THAT?"  The ball of flame is fun to watch too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top