Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 11:48:37 AM EDT
I have 2 AR's and I'm looking to get something in the .308 range. My first thought was a M14, but with the prices on mags and everythign else I tossed that idea out.

Now I'm looking at some CEMTEs I see in SGN for around $400, are these a good deal? I'm just looking for a "fun day at the range" rifle.

How do these stack up against the more expensive (and right now out of my price range) rifle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
When talking about CETME is kinda like you get what you pay for, but then again a couple of people love them.  The m1a is probably the best shooting rifle, moa wise, and then the FAL or the HK91.  Dont know haven't compared between the two.  The century built CETME is basiaclly a 1972 pinto with a brand new paint job with turtle wax on top.  Most people have to clean them right off the bat to get rid of the FTF and FTE problems.  Most of the time this works. Then some have problems with the sights.  While some also have problems with mag wells being tight and or loose. However, $340 is a nice price to throw lead downrange, and the black furniture with a new park job finish off the package.  That being said, the import parts are pretty long in the tooth.  If you want try looking at someone who has a clone of a hk91 or FAL.  DSA inc, makes some very nice FAL. While Ohio rapid Fire makes HK and FAL clones and have attention to detail.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I'll have to check out the DSA FAL sometime soon. Sounds pretty good to me
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is my HK 91

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to sound like a dick, but that's not an HK91.....At least it's not an HK91 receiver. What is it? It is nice though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If I would have to guess, I would say it is a SAR8 from Springfield Armory.  Late model with an alunimum (sp?) receiver.  You can find them on gunbroker for around a $1000-1200.  It looks like a nice rifle.

BTW: I could be wrong
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to sound like a dick, but that's not an HK91.....At least it's not an HK91 receiver. What is it? It is nice though.

Very true and excellent ID of a weapon, it is not a true 91, but a hybrid a friend and I built. The weapon retains all HK parts except for the receiver, also the strange part you see on the top where the picany rail is affixed over the original weapons parts.

I have had many tell me that it is not a true HK, which is a true statement, but it has all parts from HK, except the receiver. My friend is a HK smith and had 5 of them left from an order that he was stuck with, so he talked me into learning how to build them from kits.

The receiver came from Federal Arms Corporation around 1995, so they say after inquiring to them. The best quality the weapon possesses is that there are no deviations in fitting of parts; all are to HK specs respectively. I have a total investment of 600.00 in it and like Wamag said, most go for 1100 to 1200 on the open market.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Well actually,,, you can get the aluminum receiver version for somewhat cheaper than that. The real Springfield Armory version (SAR-8) will sell for as little as $700. And you would get a lifetime warranty. The ones selling for the $1100=$1200 price tag are usually the "real" HKs that were built in Greece and have the standard steel receiver. A lot of people don't like the aluminum version but mine has worked fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top