Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 10:13:07 PM EDT
I have a letter from my CMP-approved club but they still want proof of 50 rounds fired during competition.  I don't belong to any league and I would rather not mess around with it.

Since this rifle will only be an addition to my collection, rather than a source of serious marksmanship, is there an easier way to get my hands on a milspec M1903?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Having been to the CMP north store at Camp Perry, and having bought 2 great M1's from the CMP... I took a look at the m1903's at the store while I was there this summer,Frankly, they are rough, there maybe some jewels in the lot, but most I saw were rode hard and put away wet,In all honesty,unless you could go to the CMP store and pick one off the rack youself, I'd think twice about buying one of these,I really don't think they're that good of a deal, as far as being used as a shooter goes... if you want a wall hanger for your collection, and bore condition is'nt that important, then they may have what you want....
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The 50 rounds is easy...go to ANY NRA-sanctioned shooting event, and put 50 rounds into the dirt with anything.

They'll give you a piece of paper stating you were there and shot 50 rounds, and that's it.

Most local shooting clubs of some kind have an NRA event every month or two...

Or, if you're an ex-LEO or Military, you automatically qualify.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Current CMP 1903s are returns from hard service with the Greeks. Sanded stocks and mismatched parts are the norm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
So, is there any other source for mil-spec M1903s?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Buyer beware when it comes to CMP 03's. I bought a high number S.A. "C" stock. It was a 1935 mfg. with original receiver and barrel. It was in rough shape and was no bargain. I'd say I paid top dollar for it or at least nearly so. Still, it is shootable and will refinish nicely.
The 03A3's are reportedly in much better shape The "S" stocked 03's were reported as better as well. Most with like new WWII rebuild barrels.

If you are buying from a source other then the CMP, look for a "B" stamped onto the magazine floor plate. That is an instant give away that it is a CMP "Greek" 03. Don't over pay for one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of accuracy are well-put together 03's capable of? What about the highly-refined national match rifles?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top