Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2011 3:55:17 PM EDT
Well I've decided to spend the money to SBS my 870, but I can't find the right barrel. I want it to be 14" with rifle sights, and a fixed Cyl. bore. Where could I find something like that?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Like this?

Yep. No matter how many different ways I worded it, I didn't get any retail results. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Yep. No matter how many different ways I worded it, I didn't get any retail results. Thanks!

That is the same barrel I have except mine has a modified choke.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Do you get a lot of use out of the rifle sites on it? I can't see myself needing them, but I still want them for a little added versatility
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Do you get a lot of use out of the rifle sites on it? I can't see myself needing them, but I still want them for a little added versatility

Don't really need them in the daytime, but I have replaced the front and rear with Trijicon night sites for low light use. They make a set specifically for the 14" factory rifle sighted barrels.

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Night-Sight-P8467.aspx
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Don't really need them in the daytime, but I have replaced the front and rear with Trijicon night sites for low light use. They make a set specifically for the 14" factory rifle sighted barrels.

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Night-Sight-P8467.aspx

Oh damn, that's actually pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the current LEO Weapons mags on the rack right now has a story about Los Angeles County Sheriffs Office buying new Remington 870s.  They will have 14" rifle sighted barrels so I imagine there will be a lot of secondary market for this barrel.  I have a very old Police Wingmaster that is my candidate for SBS.  I already have a matching rifle sighted barrel so I will probably send it to Guncat to be cut, front sight replaced, and threaded for Rem-choke tubes.  I would not necessarily care about the "versatility" of needing to change choke tubes, but I would also like the option of keeping my I/C choke that I have been having such good results with.

Here is my candidate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Does that seem to be a lot of coin for that barrel? I was hoping someone would have a different link

I found another thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=143&t=547242 that GUNCAT will cut it down and then rethread it for your choke tubes, hit him up and see?

EDIT for picture add...

Sooo what about a 12" barrel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this?

Does that seem to be a lot of coin for that barrel? I was hoping someone would have a different link

I found another thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=143&t=547242 that GUNCAT will cut it down and then rethread it for your choke tubes, hit him up and see?

EDIT for picture add...

Sooo what about a 12" barrel?http://robinorobino.smugmug.com/Other/Fabulous-me/009/1072890783_vLeD7-O.jpg

I think I would have gone 12.5" so as to be flush with the end of the mag cap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Factory 14" barrel on my SBS. The rifle sights are helpful when shooting slugs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Guncat did my 12.5" (cylinder) with a new bead block and pinned the front sight and had it back to me in about a week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#12]
How are the patterns? I am torn because, I really like the way the I/C patterns for me, so I am think of having the barrel threaded for choke tubes.  But if the patterns are still uniform and staying on the silhouette out to 25 yards,  it would be one less thing to go wrong...

Guncat does do great work...I have a barrel he cut down to 18" and threaded for REM choke tubes...it is great.

Quoted:
Guncat did my 12.5" (cylinder) with a new bead block and pinned the front sight and had it back to me in about a week.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

12.5" 870s rock!

I just have a BigDot on a factory (ramped) bead sight base on mine, but it is strictly a short-range, fireball breathing, in-your-face kind of gun. I have other shotguns for other things (aimed shots with slugs, etc) if I need them. If I was doing a 14" I might be tempted to put some rifle sights on it, though.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a pic of a 870 MCS with a 14" I/C Rem choke that I get to play with here.  USGI 00 buck stays on a shiloute within a 8-10" spread at 25m.  The MCS has a shorter 3 shot tube and with a +2 ext gets me flush at 14".  You can not use a MCS barrel on a standard 870 as the mounting ring is in a different spot.

CD
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drop the coin and have Hans Vang do his magic

Ah, look ya (My Canadian accent) this Hans Vang is the same one you’re speaking of? (In Canada?)
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Im really diggin that 870. I love the first 2 pics. That little extension & sling plate is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I just got in a 18.5" police barrel with IC and meprolight night sights––can't wait to test it out tonight! The 18.5 feels short (however I am so used to 28"-32" shotguns), not sure how much of an advantage cutting off 4.5 more inches would gain?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#19]
To avoid making a whole thread about this, i figured I'd ask in here.

When you SBS a shotgun, is the barrel length set in stone?  Can you switch from a 12" barrel to a 14" barrel at will, or is the barrel lenght specified in the tax stamp?  I am pretty sure an SBR gives you the freedom to change the length...but not 100% on this either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When you SBS a shotgun, is the barrel length set in stone?  Can you switch from a 12" barrel to a 14" barrel at will, or is the barrel lenght specified in the tax stamp?  I am pretty sure an SBR gives you the freedom to change the length...but not 100% on this either.

Once it is an SBR or SBS the barrel length does not matter. You can go from 14 inch to 12 inch and back to 16 or 18 or even 20! you are free to put whatever barrel length on it that you would like so long as you have an approved Form 4 for sbs or sbr
They do ask for a length but that can be changed and you do not need to notify them when changing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Im really diggin that 870. I love the first 2 pics. That little extension & sling plate is awesome.

The extension is a Vang + one and I machined the sling mount.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you SBS a shotgun, is the barrel length set in stone? Can you switch from a 12" barrel to a 14" barrel at will, or is the barrel lenght specified in the tax stamp? I am pretty sure an SBR gives you the freedom to change the length...but not 100% on this either.

Once it is an SBR or SBS the barrel length does not matter. You can go from 14 inch to 12 inch and back to 16 or 18 or even 20! you are free to put whatever barrel length on it that you would like so long as you have an approved Form 4 for sbs or sbr

They do ask for a length but that can be changed and you do not need to notify them when changing.

To clarify a bit more, you don't have to notify them when you switch back-and-forth, but if you make a permanent change, you are supposed to notify them in writing. In the case of an SBS, you can register it as a 12.5" barrel and swap it out for 14", 18", 20" or whatever any time you like. But if, say, you sell all of the barrels except for the 14" one, and you plan on just using that one permanently, you technically should send the BATFE a letter stating that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

When you SBS a shotgun, is the barrel length set in stone? Can you switch from a 12" barrel to a 14" barrel at will, or is the barrel lenght specified in the tax stamp? I am pretty sure an SBR gives you the freedom to change the length...but not 100% on this either.

To clarify a bit more, you don't have to notify them when you switch back-and-forth, but if you make a permanent change, you are supposed to notify them in writing. In the case of an SBS, you can register it as a 12.5" barrel and swap it out for 14", 18", 20" or whatever any time you like. But if, say, you sell all of the barrels except for the 14" one, and you plan on just using that one permanently, you technically should send the BATFE a letter stating that.

you are really splitting hairs here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me. That's what the BATFE says you're supposed to do should you decide to change the "permanent configuration" (as listed on the Form 1 or 4) of an SBR or SBS... Notify them in writing. But as long as you have the parts to return it to the registered "permanent configuration" you can swap things as often as you like, for as long as you like without notifying anyone of anything. It's goofy, but it's the BATFE we're talking about.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me. That's what the BATFE says you're supposed to do should you decide to change the "permanent configuration" (as listed on the Form 1 or 4) of an SBR or SBS... Notify them in writing. But as long as you have the parts to return it to the registered "permanent configuration" you can swap things as often as you like, for as long as you like without notifying anyone of anything. It's goofy, but it's the BATFE we're talking about.

I guess my point is that they have no way of knowing what you have and what you dont have. They know you have an sbs but they dont come to your house and inspect to see what you have as far as multiple barrels. Most police officers are clueless about NFA and to them it will be an SBS and thats about it. Once they see the paperwork you are good to go. It would be very unlikely that they could even do anything to you if you did not notify them in writing because it is a registered SBS- the barrel length does not matter anymore. The NFA registry is a little bit messed up to say the least- its not something that they want to have opened up
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

12.5" 870s rock!

http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/blacktical_boomsticks.jpg

I just have a BigDot on a factory (ramped) bead sight base on mine, but it is strictly a short-range, fireball breathing, in-your-face kind of gun. I have other shotguns for other things (aimed shots with slugs, etc) if I need them. If I was doing a 14" I might be tempted to put some rifle sights on it, though.

^^^ sweet 12.5".....my next SBS!!!

teamroper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top