Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:08:30 AM EDT
I'm a noob concerning Night Vision. Here's the deal: I would consider myself a likely casual NV user primarily. I want some NV for SHTF, power outages, natural disaster, looking around the neighborhood (looking for prowlers as well). I'm having a hard time justifying to myself spending $2000+ for a PVS-14 type monocular setup. But I don't want a low-end piece of crap that I'm probably not going to be happy with. I am having a hard time coming up with enough ways to use the thing to make it worthwhile to buy.

I don't forsee myself riding a bike in the dark, and I don't have anyone to night hike with.

To be sure, I have several rifles that I shoot, and which cost a fair bit of coin to outfit, and are pretty unlikely to ever be used in self-defense, but I still have them.

I'd looked at the D-300 series from Victor, and it looks marginal, based upon my locale (15k population town, on the edge of town, but it does get pretty dark here). It's a mix of near-country and Suburban McMansions, so there may be issues with bright lights in some areas of town.  From what I've seen on the message boards, having the manual gain adjustment of the PVS14 would be a pretty good idea. But that takes me from a $1500 (D-300) unit to what, $2700-2800 for a MUM that's still 2nd-generation. I definitely can't afford $3000+ for a real PVS-14.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement as to why I should spend what is a lot of money on something that I don't expect to use a lot. But something that may come in VERY handy someday...

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a noob concerning Night Vision. Here's the deal: I would consider myself a likely casual NV user primarily. I want some NV for SHTF, power outages, natural disaster, looking around the neighborhood (looking for prowlers as well). I'm having a hard time justifying to myself spending $2000+ for a PVS-14 type monocular setup. But I don't want a low-end piece of crap that I'm probably not going to be happy with. I am having a hard time coming up with enough ways to use the thing to make it worthwhile to buy.

I don't forsee myself riding a bike in the dark, and I don't have anyone to night hike with.

To be sure, I have several rifles that I shoot, and which cost a fair bit of coin to outfit, and are pretty unlikely to ever be used in self-defense, but I still have them.

I'd looked at the D-300 series from Victor, and it looks marginal, based upon my locale (15k population town, on the edge of town, but it does get pretty dark here). It's a mix of near-country and Suburban McMansions, so there may be issues with bright lights in some areas of town.  From what I've seen on the message boards, having the manual gain adjustment of the PVS14 would be a pretty good idea. But that takes me from a $1500 (D-300) unit to what, $2700-2800 for a MUM that's still 2nd-generation. I definitely can't afford $3000+ for a real PVS-14.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement as to why I should spend what is a lot of money on something that I don't expect to use a lot. But something that may come in VERY handy someday...

Re SHTF use, if youre looking for something to bet your life on you gotta ask yourself what your life is worth......
OK, I'm off the smartass horse now.
Get something that you can head mount if possible even if its a gen2. If you want to be using it as a casual user (btw, stargazing with NV is incredible; especially meteor showers), its a lot more handy than a riflescope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem with the smartass horse.

I want to get NV, it's just that I have a hard time justifying the expense. I guess I can tell myself that it'll last 20 years or more, and I could sell it later on. But the initial outlay is a painful one.

I was planning on a bike helmet type mount (unless I got a helmet), along with occasional handheld use. I do want to set up my rifles so that I could use the NV with the Aimpoints I have (I have the non-NV version and may have to sell them to get NV versions).

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking along the same lines.

I'd like to get a 14, but that's a lot of money.....not sure I can justify it.

I understand the Gen 2+ or the GT14 are what one would consider entry level for a quality piece of gear.

I'm also interested in the helmet mount.  My Aimpoint is compatible, but I'd probably mount a visible laser with a filter
to reduce the power output.  I understand the visible lasers will bloom with NV.

For where I live I believe a Gen 2+ or a GT14 would work well......it would really help to be able to operate at night.
I've read posts where some say a Gen2+ is more than sufficient for our needs.  150 yards in the dark is a lot better than
nothing.  I don't think I could justify engaging a target at night out past that distance (150 yards).  So from that perspective
it would seem that a Gen2+ or GT14 would fill my requirement for NV.

It'll probably be my next purchase (either a Gen2+ or a GT14).
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the D-300 would work well for your intended use. The manual gain with the Gen 3 PVS-14 is useful under some conditions and urban settings. The Gen 2 can give a great view in urban settings because Gen 3 can amplify the light too much under those conditions. You can always get Vic,s torch to go with the D-300 for use with no ambient light. I have an older ITT 150 Gen 2 Nightquest that I use alot on the water and in urban settings because of bright ambient light conditions. It works very well. I can use a few other more advanced scopes and tubes including a AG Gen 3 PVS-14 but still like the Gen 2. Don't be turned off by Gen 2 , they perform pretty well and is all many people need. The D-300 scope performs well and cost vs performance its one of if not the best deal out in a quality scope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think the D-300 would work well for your intended use. The manual gain with the Gen 3 PVS-14 is useful under some conditions and urban settings. The Gen 2 can give a great view in urban settings because Gen 3 can amplify the light too much under those conditions. You can always get Vic,s torch to go with the D-300 for use with no ambient light. I have an older ITT 150 Gen 2 Nightquest that I use alot on the water and in urban settings because of bright ambient light conditions. It works very well. I can use a few other more advanced scopes and tubes including a AG Gen 3 PVS-14 but still like the Gen 2. Don't be turned off by Gen 2 , they perform pretty well and is all many people need. The D-300 scope performs well and cost vs performance its one of if not the best deal out in a quality scope.

Any thoughts on the GT14?  What's the cost vs a D-300?  Or a Gen2+?

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The GT14 is a good scope. You would have to ask Vic or Clasky as far as price goes. Vic was running a special a while back on the Gen 2SHP scopes but I have no idea if they are still in stock or what the price is. The D-300 runs around $1300 to $1400 give or take. Go to his website and I am sure you will find more info on them.   www.tacticalnightvision.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the resale value like for a D-300 if I got one, and wasn't happy with it? I mean if it's a situation where I can recoup nearly all my money, okay, I might chance it, but if I lose 25-33% immediately...like I seem to have happen a lot when I resell stuff on ARFCOM that I don't need anymore, that'd suck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
if you're at the right place at the right time you could even make money.

here is a D-300 Gen 2 MS going for $1325 used, and there is still 16 hours left on the auction.  My guess is that this one will be close to $1500.

Ebay Link

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you're at the right place at the right time you could even make money.

here is a D-300 Gen 2 MS going for $1325 used, and there is still 16 hours left on the auction.  My guess is that this one will be close to $1500.

Ebay Link

Well I won't go anywhere near Ebay, and definitely not with foreign sellers.   I'll have to look harder for used ones to get a sense of resale value if the D-300 proves unsatisfactory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just a word of caution about ebay:

Read the tacked thread at the top of this section about ebay scam artists.  NV is expensive and you want to make sure that you know who you are getting it from.

I second that.
If you must go ebay, pay with a credit card and be prepared to dispute the charge and even drop the card to protect yourself. Follow the WRITTEN cc directions for dispute exactly. Pay no attention to the ebay/Paypal crap that says you have to wait x weeks. Do Not Pay when it appears on the bill if you've been scammed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top